premature lockup

chethejet

Car has started locking up as soon as I put it in forward or reverse and before that it was not locking up in high gear! 3000 stahl lockup converter. Have disconnected plug on trans so I can drive it! Is it tcc solenoid or bad chip in ecm it has a turbo tweaks chip! I just put a new motor in it that I bought from Weber and it has not worked since then, that is also when I got the new chip. Car ran fine for a month no lockup when I put it in gear but also did not lockup in high gear. Thanks in Advance for any info!!! Front mount cooler,70 turbo 80lb injectors champion ported heads, 72 mil plenum, eagle crank and rods, diamond pistons, stroked, 4 inch down, 3 inch exhaust dual pumps voltage enhancer, maf translator Tr6 ignition and coil pack. Also installed converter at time of motor replacement!

The transmission is designed so it can't lock in 1rst or reverse. I assume you mean it locks as soon as the transmission goes into second gear. If it was locked as soon as you put it in forward or reverse the engine would stall. If it stays unlocked when you disconnect the connector on the side of the transmission your problem is a stuck TCC solenoid or there is a short to ground going to the ECM or the ECM TCC driver is shorted. Easiest way to check is to plug the transmission connector back in on the transmission....turn the key on and measure the voltage on pin "F" of the ALDL link under the dash. If it has 12v then the problem is the TCC solenoid. If it is close to 0 volts then you have a short to ground somewhere.

It does stall the motor when I put it in reverse or first after only a couple of seconds it is as if your foot just slipped off of the clutch in a standard shift car, that is what puzzles me. I will check that voltage!

It does stall the motor when I put it in reverse or first after only a couple of seconds it is as if your foot just slipped off of the clutch in a standard shift car, that is what puzzles me. I will check that voltage!
Does it stall if the electrical connector is disconnected?

It didn't for a couple of days but it did today even with the wires unplugged! Any idea what is up!

Does it stall if the electrical connector is disconnected?
It did it today even with the wires unplugged! Plus I have found out that if you get in start it up and put it in gear it doesn't do it , only when I let it warm up for a few minutes that it locks up! Do you have any idea what is going on? When I bought the car it had a 2800 in it but I do not know if it was a lockup or not as I sold it. If it had a non lockup is there some sort of seal or something that has to be done to the trans to accomodate a non lockup that I should have undone to go back to a lockup? I am sort of new to these cars and I love them very much and have spared no cost to make one outstanding!

Just think about baseball.

Oh different premature thing.

Seriously try giving Dave Husek a call. He is pretty good with trannys.

To check and see if the trans was converted to a non-lockup look at the input shaft of the transmission. Is the check ball still in the end of the input shaft? Is there an O-ring on the nose of the input shaft. If both of those things are missing then most likely the transmission has been converted to non-lock.