Pretty sure I just KO'd 2nd gear...

cuda6pak

Did a little bit of racing against a few friends (modded EVO and whippled Lightning) and was taking the GN back to the shop and was doing a couple 1-2 gear burnouts. Ever since I had the car the 1-2 shift was very solid and hard, however the 2-3 shift was soft and would slip under part throttle. At WOT it would shift 2-3 pretty firm. 3-4 shift was always firm as well.

Well I get back in the GN today and take off down the road and the "shift" to 2nd gear was basically nonexistent. Once it was in 2nd it basically free revved. If i dropped it in 2nd gear manually it would hold a little better and make it through the gear but still wouldn't hold that much power. 3rd gear will hold all the power though and layed a few tracks down at about 40mph. I never got it into OD though and took it back to the shop. I checked the tranny fluid and although it was in the middle of the "add" section, the fluid looked clean.

So tell me trans experts, any hope left or am I in for a rebuild or new tranny? Car was making 352rwhp and 441rwtq at a little lower boost and lower timing (TE44 on meth @24psi, built motor, ported heads, stock IC, etc). I was told it was an Art Carr tranny and Art Carr 3000 n/l stall when I bought it. Never really checked underneath the car as everything else listed when I bought it was correct. I'm planning on going bigger so I guess it wouldn't hurt to upgrade.

At least I beat the Lightning and EVO :redface:

Could have fried the band, elongated the anchor hole in the band, or broke the anchor pin. Regardless, time to pull it out and take a look. :eek:

Well sounds like..

You have punctured the servo apply pin through the band apply strut on the band. I just had one in here with the old old Alto wide band BEFORE we put the solid welded lugs on them. It pokes a PERFECT hole in the apply side and the one we had in here had the EXACT same symptoms as yours. Didn't hurt anything else. It also could be , like they said above, the holding lug anchor on the band has issues. But I would bet it is the apply pin through the band strut. What band is in it and for how long has it been in there?
PS.
For a quick ck, put car in the air. Take a long prybar and put a rag on the servo to protect it. Pry against servo by leveraging against the body pushing the servo in. How much servo travel do you have? That will tell you.

Bruce
We4
Performance Transmission Services

Thanks for the replies everyone

You have punctured the servo apply pin through the band apply strut on the band. I just had one in here with the old old Alto wide band BEFORE we put the solid welded lugs on them. It pokes a PERFECT hole in the apply side and the one we had in here had the EXACT same symptoms as yours. Didn't hurt anything else. It also could be , like they said above, the holding lug anchor on the band has issues. But I would bet it is the apply pin through the band strut. What band is in it and for how long has it been in there?
PS.
For a quick ck, put car in the air. Take a long prybar and put a rag on the servo to protect it. Pry against servo by leveraging against the body pushing the servo in. How much servo travel do you have? That will tell you.

Bruce
We4
Performance Transmission Services

Well unfortunately I am very very very limited in my knowledge of automatic transmissions. I've been all through an engine, rear end, ECU electronics, installed manual trans, but unfortunately never opened up an auto transmission before.

Where is the servo and the bands you are talking about? Do I need to drop the trans out? The pan? What all would I need to fix the problem if it's just like the car you just fixed....an new alto band? Anything else to beef it up while I'm in there to avoid it again?

I have no idea of the internals of this transmission as I have never personally opened it up. I have a buddy that's been through a few 200R4's that I will get to help me.

And by the way I drove it again yesterday and it shifted fine into overdrive as well if that changes anything

I would like to..

Talk to you about this. I may be able to help. shoot a phone number to PTSXTREME@aol.com and I will give you a ring to discuss options. I would think it could be handled where you are.
Lemme know
Bruce
WE4

Similar Problem

My 87 GN is exhibiting a similar 2nd gear problem. Transmission was rebuilt a couple years back and had been shifting great. Prior to this problem, I spent the day at the track last fall with consistent runs and solid shifts. Drove home, no problems...parked for the winter and problem started the first time I drove in the spring. All other shifts are firm and the car pulls great in 3rd. I adjusted the tv cable with no change in behavior. I live near BG and would love for someone with more transmission experience to drive the car at Beech Bend and give their opinion before I have it rebuilt. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

JC

Well to update the thread, I finally got my tranny out and me and a friend went through it. It had the newer style alto band which upon inspection, the friction material was pretty well worn and hot, and the anchor pin hole was elongated. Put a new band in there (a bit wider as well), got her all put back together, and she runs like a champ!

Oh and I also found out that the plug on the side of the trans was plugged in backwards by the previous owner. Now I have reverse lights and it turns out my Art Carr converter was a lockup afterall! Haha :D