Problem installing new front brake pads

GNTurbo6

Asian guy in redneck car
I just started driving my GN again this summer after letting it sit for a few years. It isn't living the pampered life in the garage anymore and some issues are starting to arise as well as wear items needing to be replaced. My brakes have been squealing so I checked them on Tuesday to find that they worn down to the squeal clip thing.

I replaced the pads tonight after getting pads and the necessary socket and c-clamp but on the right side of my car the brake pad didn't really fit between the rotor and whatever cast iron bracket is behind the rotor. I hammered it in and hoped for the best but there is definitely drag on the right wheel and while doing some harder stops I actually got a nice cloud of smoke on the right side. I tried wiggling the rotor but it didn't have any play so I don't think it's the bearing. I held screw driver in place against the rotor while rotating it and there didn't seem to be any visible gap at any time so I don't think the rotor is warped. Is this a common issue? What might it be?

I might be able to snap some pics in a few days but what I noticed is that there was considerably more space where the lower caliper bolt is than where the upper is. Roughly 1/8" near the bottom one but I literally had to hammer the caliper into place at the top.

Sounds like the caliper could be seized up. Was it tough pressing the piston back in with the C clamp?

Sounds like the caliper could be seized up. Was it tough pressing the piston back in with the C clamp?

Not particularly. When I tried fitting the pad without the caliper I could see the difference in space behind the rotor and the big bracket behind it. Basically right now I think the pad is wedged against the rotor creating that drag. I don't know if it's something I can just let it wear through and be fine or if I need to start replacing things.

1 fast cobra is on to something. I've seen hoses collapse or degrade internally and keep fluid from returning to the master cylinder

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Change the calipers and hoses

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

While the hose and and caliper have seen better days the issue here is an alignment problem between the rotor and the cast iron metal bracket behind it... The pad literally had to be hammered into place since there was less clearance at the top than the bottom.

look carefully at the pads backing plate. compare it to the ones you took off. I have run into a couple situations where the backing plate is a little longer than the originals and it hangs up in the caliper slides and or bracket and drags on the rotor. I had to grind down the ends to get a set of pads to fit in the slides on my truck. Rust in the slides sometimes causes this problem too. If its not a fitment issue, it could be as the others surmised either the piston is hanging in the caliper or their is an internal hose failure. You should NEVER have to hammer on a caliper or piston. Its possible that the friction material is a bit tight too and that would require a different set of pads. don't drive it with a hanging brake because you will ruin both the rotor and possibly the caliper too and its not unheard off to set dragging brakes on fire and burn up a whole vehicle- seen it happen twice.

why would you keep putting it together if you had to use a hammer to get the pad into place? this stuff is designed to slide easily together by hand and float around during use.

Because I really wanted to get it done and the old pads didn't have enough meat on them to be useful for much longer. I suppose I can try to pull off the anti vibration layer and see if that helps.