Problem with locally built TH350.... [LONG!]

LDPosse

I'm posting this for a friend of mine, this isn't buick related but I didn't know where else I could find such a qualified group of tranny people.

The trans is a 4WD TH350, in a full time 4wd '79 Blazer K5, 4900 lbs without driver. It had blue plate clutches installed, a heavy duty sprag, new vacuum modulator, and I don't know what else. The guy that built the trans said it would be good to 600HP and would be able to take whatever kind of driving/abuse my friend could throw at it.

The motor is a 385ci SBC, (.040 over 350, 400 crank), not sure what HP/TQ #'s but it will run mid 9's in the 1/8 mile.

When the transmission was installed, new rubber connections were put on the vacuum modulator line, a new trans mount was installed, but the kickdown linkage was left unhooked because of difficulties getting the right amount of pull with the Edelbrock EFI throttle linkage.

The transmission failed about 2 months later with about 2000 miles on it. It was manually downshifted from 3-2 at highway speeds to pass a ricer, and when shifted back into D, the trans made some nasty noises and the vehicle didn't move in any range. When it was torn down, the 2nd gear band was burned up, and the actual failure was from the forward drum cracking.

The trans was returned to the shop where it was built and the guy there said "I've never seen a failure like this in 25 years! You must have been manually shifting this thing, I won't warranty this if it comes back like this again" So the guy put in a new forward drum, I'm not sure what else. He did not put in a new torque converter, he just drained the fluid out and re-insatalled it.

The trans was installed in the truck and this time only lasted 200 very easy miles. The other day, there was a sound coming from the engine bay that sounded almost like a rod knock when the trans was in gear. We checked the tq conveter bolts and they were all tight. The next day, when my friend was backing into his garage, he put the trans in R and it sounded like an explosion. Once again, there is no movement in any range. The torque converter bolts were pulled, and the motor started. The "rod knock" sound is now gone.

I'm not sure what would be wrong, but I said the trans shop should give my friend his $ back and find a better shop. I also said I thought he may be better off going to a TH400. I also thought the argument about manualy shifting sounds rediculous, I do that with my PTS 200-4r and 18k miles later never had a problem. Does anyone here have any words of wisdom for this situation? Any help is appricated!

Manually downshifting under deceleration is rough on the sprag from 3-2 in a Th350.
Under throttle it shouldn't be as much of a problem though...

I've seen input shaft/forward drum failures but they are relatively rare.
But with all these trans getting to be 30 years old they will start to see more fatique failures.

I would just go to another builder...

FWIW, the forward drum cracked and let go on my '78 El Camino SS when it was about 10 years old (1988?). The trans guy said the same thing at that time, that he'd never seen one break before. So it does happen, and I was not beating on it.
Adios,
Brett