You can type here any text you want

Problems with Bilstein shocks

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I attempted to install new Bilstein front shocks tonight and ran into 2 problems so far.

1) The new hardware includes 3 washers (2 thick, 1 thin) and 2 rubber bushings and one nut for the top. There was no instructions or diagrams and I can't figure out where the third washer goes?

2) While attempting to install the lower mounting bolts, the clip/nut on the lower control arm broke. It seems the new bolts have a slightly different thread pitch and it got stuck and snapped the clip. Anyone know where I can buy a new one? This is what an unbroken clip looks like:

DSC00396.jpg

DSC00395.jpg

DSC00397.jpg

The clips you can find in any auto store where they sell small parts in the help section,1 washer and rubber grommet goes under the mounting area and another rubber grommet and washer goes on top with the nut on top of that,you may have been giver a extra spare washer- it happens some times.

Thanks I will go look at the Help section tomorrow. And about the washer? That's what I thought-one on the bottom and one on the top. It was just confusing me.

Mine, too

I stripped out the clips. Got some from the dealer, plus some new bolts.
That is what I get for changing shocks too many times.

I got some "speed nuts" made by Dorman at Auto Zone today. The size to fit the bolts that came with the Bilsteins is 5/16 - 18. The size that was on the car was M8 I believe (metric). They look slightly different, but I think they will work. Or at least I hope they will!

The clips I got are no good. They are too long and interfere with the bottom of the shock. Search continues...

I did the same thing. The bolts have a slightly different thread count.
Autopart store had a replacement.

It seems like the original shocks were metric hardware, and the Bilsteins were included with standard hardware. Considering the price of these shocks and the fact they are suppposed to fit this car, they should come with the proper hardware. I found these clips for a chevelle that look like the proper design. This has been the longest shock-change job ever!

1964-1972 El Camino Parts: 1964-1972 EL CAMINO FRONT SHOCK MOUNTING KIT

Attachments

• BPX-9715.jpg
    BPX-9715.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 149
Back