You can type here any text you want

Problems with t top gaskets

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

billygeg

Hey Guys

I apologize if Im on the wrong forum...
I just bought a 87 GN with T tops..The car is almost all finished but the t tops trims and gaskets were all removed when the car was painted..So they needed to be re-installed..Between the metal parts, trims and new gaskets it was like a jigsaw puzzle but I figured it out for the most part.. The problem I am having is the t tops glass arent sliding into the center rail as if the glass is to high or the rail is to low..Im pretty sure I have the gaskets in right but does anyone have close up pics so that I can judge? I did a google search but it didnt help... Also does the gasket that runs along the top of the winshield area get siliconed down to the thin metal trim that screws in? Any help would be appreciated
Thanks! Bill

You may have better luck getting help if you post some pics of the problem ,then the people in the know can see what's going on with it, and suggest a remedy.
Good luck.

I'll get you pictures when I get home but they are old compressed gaskets

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Very True! Here they are...Im pretty sure I have the seals in place right. The only thing I can think of is if the bat across the center needs shims to bring it up higher..I found a few in the parts the guy gave me with the car but Im not sure if they are for that..See last pic..
Thanks!
094.JPG
095.JPG
096.JPG
097.JPG
094.JPG
095.JPG
095.JPG
096.JPG
097.JPG

Another thing is, If you notice the seal behind the rail trim above the windshield there is a space..I am assuming that has to be glued down? I dont want to do it till I know for sure as you know how messy that stuff can be especially if it needs to be pulled back off!

I'll get you pictures when I get home but they are old compressed gaskets

That doesnt matter..I just need to see some close up to make sure I have everything the way its supposed to be...I bought the car with the t-top moldings and gaskets all stripped so it took me a few days to figure the jigsaw puzzle out! I think I have it the right way but I must be missing something as the tops arent sliding into the center rail. They are to high as you can see in the pics I posted.

Thanks!

Not sure exactly what your looking for. Let me know if you want something different.
uploadfromtaptalk1448773881901.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1448773923021.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1448773965639.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1448774006444.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1448774069282.jpg

Not sure exactly what your looking for. Let me know if you want something different. View attachment 267740View attachment 267741View attachment 267742View attachment 267743View attachment 267744

That is exactly what I am looking for! Thanks alot..It appears I have the seals in wrong along the top...I have the seals pushed into the center rail instead of partially under it which I would think would bring the rail up higher to match the height of the glass..Im gonna take another look at it later to see if I can make sense of it.
Thanks again!
Bill

I just checked mine again and in comparison to yours it looks like I have the seals in correct...I managed to work in the passenger side t top but Im still having trouble with the drivers side..Its close but not close enough...I dont want to put to much pressure on the glass in fear of breaking it so I put some books on top of the t tops in hopes that maybe it will squash down the new seals a bit...I dont know!

I don't believe you would,be able to break that glass. Its tempered. But here is more pics with flash. I was hoping somebody would chime in on this other than me. I have my dad's car all apart with the channel all exposed but I'm not at the shop. I just can't remember if the channel on the center is 2 pieces or what. Sorry man. If you still don't have it figured out by the time I get to the shop I'll look at what I took apart and try to remember. It was 3 years ago. Don't glue them down until you are 150% sure you've got them right lol. lol
uploadfromtaptalk1448819466148.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1448819516724.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1448819554495.jpg

It does not look like the seals are seated correctly into the channels. Also the corner of the seal is not positioned completely into the corner.

These take a little time and patience to put in correctly. If you get them in right you will have very few issues. If you don't get them in right, well...

Good luck

I think the corners need to be worked in a bit better as you mentioned but the t tops are still to high for the center rail...Would there happen to be shims under the center rail (between the body and rail) to raise it up? Also the gasket above the winshield behind the metal trim.. Does it get glued down to that metal trim?

Looks as in earlier pics the center bar is flush with the top opening? looks as if where your pic of finger is seated but how about under the center bar?

got em! I put a crate of about 20 lbs of books on each t top to press down the gaskets a bit and left it sit for like a week and they went right in! The only question I have now is, Am I supposed to glue down the front part of the gasket to the metal trim above the windshield!

Yeah I bought the 3m adhesive thats recommended but I didnt glue them down.. I cant figure out for the life of me how to glue these in without making a complete mess! Besides, Most of the gasket is in channels and held down with the trims.. Besides this car will probably never see rain the only section Im really concerned about is the one section over the windshield...I know this is off topic but can anyone tell me a place in eastern section of PA that does Chroming? I want to have my turbo shield and up pipe chromed but I want a place that comes recommended..I searched NY but I was told its illegal in NY so the closest area for me would be PA like the Matamoris area where NY, NJ, And PA all come together.

Back