You can type here any text you want

proportioning valve reset

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

treyzGN

hello everyone, this is my first post and i would like to thank you ahead of time for your help . I just changed to larger wheel cyl. and brake shoes on rear and installed line loc in front and was in the process of bleeding brakes [ forgot to use c-clamp on prop. valve} how do you get it to reset? brake light is on and nothing comes out of the rear lines. I now have a mity vac to vacuum bleed, but need to get valve to reset. will check back after work, have to go for now. thanks again

Here's what I do:
Unplug the brake light wire on the proportioning valve.
Remove the white plastic nut from the top of the proportioning valve, be careful it strips easily.
With a buddies help, open one of the bleeders on a front caliper.
Drive the brake pedal to the floor as hard as you can.
With the pedal down, close the front caliper bleeder to prevent introducing air.
The proportioning valve responds as if a front brake hose/line has blown. The difference in pressure makes the valve inside the proportioning valve move over to plug the leak. Hopefully it stops in the middle position and you now have pressure to the front and rear.
Try bleeding the rears again. Sometimes it takes several wacks to get it to reposition. If it plugs the front off, then open a rear bleeder and wack it.

When your done, reinstall the plastic nut and attach the wire. The brake light should go out. Make note of the the little pin on the white nut, it rides on the surface of the valve allowing the pin to move up/down which creates a ground making the brake light go on or off.

HTH

Back