You can type here any text you want

Pro's and cons of different chip brands?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Sleeper-6

Ok, here's my problem. I'm currently running a Thrasher 92 and like it, but it's not compadable with Direct Scan. SO I guess I'll have to switch chips. What do the the different makers have as a trait in their chips. Do some tend to be richer than others? some spool different? Some adjust timing differently? What have you noticed? What's closest to a Thrasher that will work with DS.

Thinking outside the box....

Since you seem pleased with your car's performance so far....Another option you can investigate may reveal a cheaper and easier solution: Another scan tool , at least until you understand and can use the very specialized capabilities of the DS....http://www.turbo-link.com/tlink/scanchart.html

No offense meant to DS here (DS capabilities are awesome), but, a scanmaster would work just fine for you right now. I'm thinking of a scanmaster to supplement my T-Link myself, as well as an extender chip to help my T-Link record the so-called "faster" rate of ECM feedback.

Someone more familiar with "Extender" chips will be able to explain which chips will talk to your DS. It may be that you need a modification to your ECM to make it work if its not already modified....

I'm out of my depth here, I'll read future responses carefully to learn some of the ins and outs of this issue. Seems like every time I think I've figured it out, somebody mentions another variable that I've never heard of or misunderstood....

I would suggest against getting rid of Directscan. I dont think fliying blind is worth the risk.

Any number of other chipmakers will work fine. Jay Carter, Lubrant, testa, etc...

Good luck,
Bob

Woah, Easy there guys! I'm not dumb enough to be flying blind. I do have a scanmaster in the car and running all the time. Unfortunately it's update rate is the problem. I have DS to try and catch a coughing problem that happens at WOT. The slower rate of the scanmaster isn't enough to catch it in the act, that's why I want to use the DS. I'm just looking for the characteristic traits of differen't makers chips to help decide who to go with.

Originally posted by Sleeper-6
I'm just looking for the characteristic traits of differen't makers chips to help decide who to go with.

The only characteristic is that they're generic. You'll just have to experiment and see what YOUR car likes. Or get into doing your own chips. Or get something that gives you some options about how to tune your car like a Translator Plus or ME

No offence meant... I know it is "said" that Thrashers "may not" work with DS but when I ran one it worked fine with DS. Are you getting weird readings with yours? If not ... :)

Paul

Like bruce said...

Do some DS recordings, send them off to your chosen "Chip-Daddy", and you should be on your way!

If necessary, put the factory chip in to get your recordings.

Datz de tikkit !

HTH :)

Originally posted by Sleeper-6
Woah, Easy there guys! I'm not dumb enough to be flying blind. I do have a scanmaster in the car and running all the time. Unfortunately it's update rate is the problem. I have DS to try and catch a coughing problem that happens at WOT. The slower rate of the scanmaster isn't enough to catch it in the act, that's why I want to use the DS. I'm just looking for the characteristic traits of differen't makers chips to help decide who to go with.

hehe, sorry I meant to offense by what I wrote earlier. I guess I'm a data junkie; and more is better :)

Good luck with your chip decision.
:)
Bob

DS also worked fine in my friends car with a Thrasher for stock injectors its just that the timing was reading something around 39 degrees at WOT I think. The block learn map MAY also have been a little strange but can't quite remember. The O2 and knock data seemed fine.

It's Cool, No offence taken. I haven't had a whole lot of time to play with it since it was a borrowed lap top I used to just check if my hardware was working. Right off the bat though the TPS and MAF readings were off the wall and it was showing about 10 trouble codes that I know I don't have. So my particular Thrasher isn't getting along with the DS.

Maybe it was a connection problem with the cable/computer? I have no problems with my Thrasher other than the very high timing numbers. But the retard numbers are right as well as all the other numbers.

Back