Prototype Turbomotion V3 HOTAIR intake goes 11.91!!

ATEAV8GN

IC? Who needs that crap!
Here it is guys:

r/t: .652 (off the transbrake)
60': 1.754 (spun a little, slicks are worn the f_ck out)
330: 4.903
1/8: 7.562
mph: 91.47
1000: 9.908
1/4: 11.918
mph: 111.62
all at only 20 psi boost.

previous passes in the day were 11.94, 11.99, and a 12.01 as the first pass with the new intake.

Give Jay a call at Turbomotion (941-228-3136) for more info about the new intake. This thing will go faster once we get the boost up even more. Were seriously looking for mid to low 11's with it.

Drew H. Carlton
'85 GN, 11.918 @ 111.6, NO IC, NO SPRAY

Congrat's Drew!!!!!!

Serious "Zoom Zoom"

Tell us more about the intake... I'm curious what the difference is between it and the V2. If it is significant maybe I should sell my V2 and upgrade :)

Drew also had the very first V1 prototype hot air style intake. I believe that intake went 12.teens but I may be wrong. Drew can let us know for sure. This V3 is just like the V2 with a different upper manifold. It can not be used with an intercooler. This is the replacement of the V1. My hands were tied on what could be done to the intake when the outlet nozzle of the turbo went into the rear of the intake. Once I stopped betting my head into the ground trying to make that work it became easy to see what might work.
Since Drew was nice enough to do the testing in a timely unbiased fashion I am giving him the intake to show how much I appriciate his time. Thanks again brother. I hope your car goes faster and faster!
jay

That's the ticket! Man! Is that ever fast! So what is the next step? Are you just looking to tune the car in and get ready for mid-low 11's? Let us know when you run faster than 11.25 so we can rub it in TTA89's face :)

Ha ha ha ha. When that happens that thread will probably break the 250 post record long flamewar.

Drew - What's your combo ? What other parts do you have on the motor to get that result ?

Question #2 - HOW MUCH and HOW SOON CAN I GET ONE !!!!!

Originally posted by mike85gn
That's the ticket! Man! Is that ever fast! So what is the next step? Are you just looking to tune the car in and get ready for mid-low 11's? Let us know when you run faster than 11.25 so we can rub it in TTA89's face :)

LMFAO!!! :D

I never read this section but Im bored so figured what the hell....

Sticks and Stones may break my bones but a Hot air slug will never beat me :p ;)

If this won't work on my sperco inter cooler set up what is the best one for me.

i was ready to get my intake but i lost the main bearings.

Aw, c'mon Mike, even YOU have to admit 11.9's WITHOUT an intercooler ain't bad! There's many an intercooled buick that ain't runnin' that fast!

In fact, I'm impressed enough with this that I'm copying this post into the lounge, AND regular tech! I think Jay's intake needs to be brought to people's attention! Everyone on the board wants to know when something new works, and this intake obviously works!

:)

Full Combo

Top to bottom here we go....
Turbo: TA54,
Exhaust: Poston headers, ATR Xover and up-pipe, 3" Actionfab dp, Deltagate mounted on x-over, 3" ATR single shot copy with Pitbull muff, and cutout is open at the track.
Intake: Turbomotion prototype V3, home-made cold air kit with K&N behind grill, 160* thermo, blocked throttle body coolant lines, Throttle body bored to 70mm.
Fuel system: Walbro 340, 50lb MSD injs, full billet adj reg.
Heads: radically ported 4.1 castings with 1.77/1.55's
Cam: 218/218 Comp cam from PTE, adj pushrods.
Block: stock crank, rods, pistons and rings with 165k miles
Electronics: '87 ECM, MAF, fan, Scanmaster
Chips: Jay Carter low timing 93oct street, jay Carter 110 race Converter: 9" 3500 stall Art Carr 16930 non-lock-up
Trans: Century Automotive, aka Mike Kurtz (formerly PMAC) trans with Stageright transbrake (love that thing), trans-cooler.
Rear-end: stock 3.42's, Powertrax locker, GMPP's wheel studs, stock axles
Suspension: pinion snubber, dual airbags, Bowling Green Customs lower control arms, stock rear swaybar, front sway-bar removed. 50/50 rear shocks, 90/10s in the front
Brakes: S-10 wheel cylinders, Long soft compound shoes, linelock on front brakes.
Body: all body bushings, back seat braces, front frame braces, A/C removed :(
Interior: full assortment of VDO gauges, Oil, water, and boost, Autometer, fuel pressure and shiftlite tach, Caspers knock gauge

I am probably forgetting something but I hope this helps you out. Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be happy to answer them.

Drew H. Carlton
'85 GN, 11.918 @ 111.6, NO IC, NO SPRAY, DAILY DRIVER

when was the v-1 released verses the v-2? Just curious I have one of these and trying to determine what version.

thanks,

Just a comparison

First Off, CONGRATS Drew. Your car is flying!

The V1 was released first, the V2 second, with the V2 being the intercooled version.

I'm running the V2 with a combo similar to what Drew is running.

This is my combo...

Turbo: TA54 with .85 Housing
Exhaust: ATR Headers/DP TestPipe Kenne Bell 2.5" Duals
Intake: Turbomotion V2 with modified stock 86/7 IC, S&B Cone Filter, 160° thermo,
Fuel system: Walbro 340, 55lb Siemans injs, Martone adj reg.
Heads: Stock
Cam: 208/214 Isky Cam
Block: stock crank, rods, J&E pistons
Electronics: Modified '87 ECM, MAF Translator, fan, Direct Scan
Chips: Jay Carter, and Jim Testa Street
Converter: 3500 stall Art Carr 19930 non-lock-up
Trans: Mike Doyle Built 200-4r, trans-cooler
Rear-end: stock 3.42's, Non-posi
Suspension: front sway-bar removed.
Brakes: Stock
Body: Stock, except HVAC completly removed (makes it SOOOO MUCH EASIER TO WORK ON!)

At 17psi with a street chip, on street tires the car ran 13.20@112 That run was leaving at idle, 1/4 throttle till the 330' mark, then roll into the gas and still spun. It ran 85mph in the 1/8 due to the slow take off and spinning (2.4+60')

At 21psi 21deg of timing on nittos (still piss poor 60's [2.3's]) it ran 12.70@114 with 91mph in the 1/8th.

The IC version of the intake potentially make more power than the non-ic version simply because even the stock IC cools the intake charge. Once the Champion CNC heads are taken care of, the DFI is on and tuned, and i get to work on the cars suspension I have no dbouts the v2 will go into the 10's. The Intercooler and TA-54 Turbo may be replaced by a CAS v2 and a TA-66 later on if needed though.

Hopefully i'll be able to make a clean race trim pass in a few weeks. :p