You can type here any text you want

PTE intercooler vibration

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jlat

hello people; I was out driving today in Mass. and put on about 100 miles doing one of my rides I do in the car or the bike. It is humid today and with the AC on the IC has a vibration that I think I fixed but it comes back all the time. The vibration is there with the AC on only. Any one else been dealing with the same? Kinda makes the car sound like it's junk.
IBBY

Yep, I had the same thing and it was only when I had the AC on. It was the shroud, specifically the scoop. I put a strip of sound dampening along the inside bottom of the scoop.

hello people; I was out driving today in Mass. and put on about 100 miles doing one of my rides I do in the car or the bike. It is humid today and with the AC on the IC has a vibration that I think I fixed but it comes back all the time. The vibration is there with the AC on only. Any one else been dealing with the same? Kinda makes the car sound like it's junk.
IBBY
I had the same issue, my engine builder built me a set of custom brackets. He built a much sturdier replacement for stock bracket and the bracket from PTE cracked and replaced that one as well. The bracket that comes with PTE SLIC is good, but the flimsy stock bracket needs to be replaced with something more ridged and adjustable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hello; I'd like to see the brackets you came up with? Any chance of that?
IBBY

My CAS V4 SLIC rattled when the AC was on as well. I just ran 2 wraps of good electrical tape around the edge where the shroud screws on over the box, so can't see it, and it doesn't have metal to metal contact.

hello; I'd like to see the brackets you came up with? Any chance of that?
IBBY
You know what, i also put thread inserts in for 6.0mm studs and I have a washer, lock washer and nut securing the shroud to the IC. Perhaps that is why my rattle is gone.

My CAS V4 SLIC rattled when the AC was on as well. I just ran 2 wraps of good electrical tape around the edge where the shroud screws on over the box, so can't see it, and it doesn't have metal to metal contact.
Mine is metal on metal contact, but mine is studded with lock washer. That is why I probably don't hear anymore rattle, probably doesn't have anything to do with the brace. Because the stock brace is pretty ridged, I was playing with it last night.

IBBY

If you don't drive your car in the winter, you could get 6.0mm stainless steel studs from McMaster Carr and the 6.0mm thread inserts do you can bolt your shroud down. it's not a tough job, you just need the right size drill bit and a piece of tape on the drill bit marking out deep to drill. Even with the tape, I went a little too deep and punched a hole in my IC. I had a local radiator shop fix it and weld the stud in permanently.

Before that I bought some one-sided sticky foam rubber an 1/8" think and ran it around the outline where the metal contacted the shroud. That seemed to work well too.

Back