You can type here any text you want

PTE SLIC up-pipe rubbing hood pad

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

blackgn231

Money pit
I just put mine on and have a plenum spacer under my throttle body well I did a check to see just how close the pipe was to the hood pad by putting some grease on the top of the pipe and shutting the hood. There was some transfer on to the hood pad so 2 questions? Has anyone had this same problem with their PTE fmic and does this plenum spacer really work?Or is the power plate the way to go?I have seen cars with a PTE fmic with a spacer but no sign of rubbing ,It could be just touching and may not do anything but just wanted to see if anyone else has had this set up in their car?

Yes I have a pte fmic , with a gn1 plenum spacer. It wore through a spot on the hoodliner no rubbing anymore :smile:

your front body mounts are probably shot causing the front end of the body to sag on the frame and rub against the top of the motor.

Your title says "SLIC", but in the text you say "fmic", which is it?

When I ran the PTE FMIC I had no rubbing issues.

Every PTE SLIC I've seen rubs with out-of-the-box installation...

K.

All new factory body bushings on mine as well and it rubs. I am going to do a little trimming on the up pipe over the winter to get it to fit perfect. :rolleyes:
With my set up the intercooler sits a little higher on one side as well. The factory intercooler bracket needs a little work also to be perfect. I have seen a few other cars that had the same issues with the PTE SLIC.

Pte slic

My 3" up pipe on PTE SLIC is also rubbing against the hood pad. However, I also have the HR Parts poly motor mounts. These appear to rasie the entire engine at least 1/2". I thought this was why it's rubbing on mine. Interesting to hear that others are running into the same issue with this. No way to resolve it (unless you want to downsize to a 2 1/2" up pipe). Don't see this as a step in the right direction myself though.

checked it from under the car

I tried to to see just how close it was from under the car.I took a piece if 1/8 rubber and attached a string to it and closed the hood and then pulled it out it came out easy so it may not rub on it to much just touching it seems but ,I also have a 1/2 spacer under the throttle body and may remove it for a power plate which would drop it down a 1/4 or more .It will be close to the bottom pipe will have to see ,I guess.Thanks for all the imputs on your PTE slic .

Your title says "SLIC", but in the text you say "fmic", which is it?

When I ran the PTE FMIC I had no rubbing issues.

Every PTE SLIC I've seen rubs with out-of-the-box installation...

K.

Yes I'm confused too. Anyway, I have Cotton's front mount and the up pipe rubs on the hood pad. Car is in body shop right now and I removed the intercooler. When I get it back I'm going to put washers in the screws on top of the intercooler to force it downward. I hope it works. I also have a power plate.

All new factory body bushings on mine as well and it rubs. I am going to do a little trimming on the up pipe over the winter to get it to fit perfect. :rolleyes:
With my set up the intercooler sits a little higher on one side as well. The factory intercooler bracket needs a little work also to be perfect. I have seen a few other cars that had the same issues with the PTE SLIC.

Yup. Same here. The liner is doing a nice job polishing one spot.:rolleyes:

Hey guys am I the only one who is confused on where bracket attache's to engine? I guess I'll have to crawl under car as I'm having hard time figuring it out!

One on the tensioner
One on the bottom bolt of the timing cover driver side
Bolt on the bottom of the timing cover ( under the oil pump )
Pass side

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

WOW thanks 1fastcobra, the instructions they sent don't say that at all? It looked like just one bolt on old bracket for original cooler drivers side and rest on passenger side. Here again pic would help!

I think someone needs to make mounting brackets that actually mount the damn thing correctly. Every one I have seen is crooked and off center, including mine.

So guys do you like the intercooler? Has it helped? One gentleman told me it was a waste of money until I'm up to 400HP. Oh well whats another grand!

I took mine to a local shop and had 1/2inch removed from the pipe end at the intercooler and then had the seem rolled again. :mad: I tried 1/4 inch first but it still touched. I have had it on for 2 summers and it is perfect.:rolleyes: IF I was to do it over again I would have bought an intercooler from Mark Huffman. They are a much better fit and easier to install for my application.

I think someone needs to make mounting brackets that actually mount the damn thing correctly. Every one I have seen is crooked and off center, including mine.
The way I got my old PTE to fit up nice was to put it in using the hoses and driver side bracket only to line it up. Once I had the up pipe hoses and the turbo hose tight...I tightened the OEM driver side bracket. Now only the new alum bracket was left. Spin the alum extension into place and remove the long water pump bolt. Now I started messing around with a round file and elongating the holes until the alum bracket fit up with the cooler bolted in place. Once it fit without forcing it...I put sealer on the water pump bolt and tightened it up for good.
BTW...the up pipe rubbed my hood pad too. I had a 1 inch GN1 spacer.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Back