You can type here any text you want

pulling engine with trans in car

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

trading t/a

I'm Angry!!!!!
Has anyone tried pulling the engine while leaving the tranny supported. I broke down the engine to the shortblock and would like to avoid crawling under the car while on jackstands to drop the tranny. Anyone have any problems when yanking it this way?

Thanx,
Pete

It will come out piece of cake. Thats how I did mine. Only suggestion is to put the car on jackstands so the legs from the cherry picker can roll under the car. And make sure you have a long boom on your hoist.. as the nose is long

Take motor mounts bolts out, Take the tranny bolts off.. unhook the converter..unhook the hood shocks..lift hood straight up.. motor comes out piece of cake. I hook to the back there is a hole on the block drivers side.

HTH

Call me if you need a step by step.. did mine a few weeks ago.

Right now it's a shortblock with the oil pan and front cover on. No accessories ,heads, manifolds, etc. I tore it down as far as it goes. It's a spred leg design cherry picker, it should fit nicely going in from the side. Thanx for the info!

Getting the time to take the starter wires off and the bolts you've mentioned is taking longer than to break it down to it's current state.

After a few sets of hg's one should be good at disassembling the topsode of the motor :frown:

I think I'm gonna try those ICS gaskets this time, the stockers haven't given me any luck so far. I'm starting to believe that the garage I used to swap the fuel pump didn't do it or kept the one I gave them to put in. A hotwired 340 shouldn't be going lean with a 61 turbo on 15psi with 50's. Time to use the aeromotive pump that's been sitting here......

We have used the Felpro 9441's with great success. My 'ol TTA still has the set from last year.. last nite it ran 100 in the 1/8. I think your issues are elsewhere. Examine where the HG is failing.. make that decicion. Head is not flat? Block surface not flat? improper finish on head surface? wrong TQ on bolts? Improper assembly? Bad tune..., Bad injector/harness, bad computer, oil in combustion chamber?.. see lots of things can contribute. If at low boost you torched the gasket.. more than likely its bad machine work. I'd have another shop check the heads.

My car runs a walbro 307.. not even a 340..

Without data logs of what the car is doing.. your just throwing money at it hoping the problem goes away. Sorry your having probs.. but my advice is solid on this.

I know what blew it this time. I've ran lots of high boost before the new combo was done. 87 octane was mistakenly put in my tank and when the boost went up it started the ball rolling. I went to the track and deposited the contents of my crankcase on the track. :mad:

It'll be back together eventually, spending time with the new addition to the family takes up most of my spare time that I can work on it. But it's time I don't mind losing...... :D

Back