pump Speed

Reaper

Pit Bitch
i am sooo excited, i just installed my SMC kit tonight. i went out for a test drive. i have my boost set at 10psi cause of the heat here in AZ, i know i can get way with more, but when its 110* out and 25* humidity i think i am just being smart. at any rate.

my question is this on the test run i had the pump speed set at 4.5 and the alcky came on at ~9/10psi with no bog. my question is can i start turning up the boost and leave the pump speed at 4.5 since i have not bog?

my o2 were in the 820-840 range i know i can get more boost and lean it out.

thanks for the input on this and if i was to confusing just let me know and i will try to explain it more.

Dathan

I am lost here, your only running 10psi of boost and turning on the alky at 9-10psi:confused:
i don't know how everyone else tuned their alky but heres what i did and it works for me. First get a co-pilot it's hard to watch everything and stay on the road.
I run Denaturated alky. Set pump speed at 7-8. As i was driving set turn on point at 14-15psi. Got out on the highway in 3rd gear and slowly put it to the floor
Watching for knock on the SM2 tuned from there i just cranked it up from 17psi a few psi at a time till i got to 25psi of boost 0 knock and left it. Results may vary depending on your combo so watch for knock as you turn the boost up. Some people only run 20-23psi
Temp 90
Humidity 100
Oh yea, watch for hoses blowing off too. I had to replace a few and clamp them all and i mean all down to keep them from blowing off.
I hope this helps, might not be the right way but works for me.

slow 87, when u were turning the boost little by little, did you touch your fuelpressure too or just left it and upped the boost?

Originally posted by Turboaddict
slow 87, when u were turning the boost little by little, did you touch your fuelpressure too or just left it and upped the boost?

I never touched the FP, should I have?
The car had a very good tuning before I put on the alky.
FP 39#
02's 775
Egt 1,625* max hold 1/4mi run
Knock 0
I still run the stock chip, turbo, intercooler

slow87, since your egt is in the ball park apparently the amount and type of alcohol is making up for the fueling at 25 lbs.
Individual results depend upon specific turbo / injector combination.
Basically what you do is what "slow" did....get into 3rd gear, go wot, and crank boost while watching egt and knock.
If you don't have a manually adjustable boost valve then the process just takes a bit longer.
Happy boosting.

hey is my real question plain and simple.

will i need to tun up the pump speed as add more boost?
i am only runnning 10psi cause its just to DAMN hot in AZ for any thing more than 12 -14 psi on pump gas. i will turn up the boost and make some hi speed runs at midnight tonight and see what i can get out of it (should only be 100 or so by then). agian will i need to mess with my pump speed as my boos increases though out the tunning phase?

here is my combo: TA 49, 36# blue tops, ME 8 pos. (set pos # 2 on the street)

Dathan

Grim Reaper, keep crankin up the boost till you get knock then back it down or turn up the pump speed. "plain and simple"
If you are just planning on only running 15 psi you shouldn't need
pump speed more than @1 or 2 or so. I am taking it you are mostly using the alky kit for cooling. If that's the case you might want to mix distilled water in if you aren't already.

Look Quick, stock chip for now.

Later, Slow 87:)

yes for the summer i want to run about 16 to 18 so yes it will be just to cool the intake charge, but when it cools off here in the desert i want to be able to run at 20psi. i am just taking it slow. thanks for the help that is what i wanted to know.

dathan

Grim, you should be using a 50/50 water-alcohol mix. For now this is your best mix.
Your O2's are indicating rich, but this should lean out as you increase boost.
Position 2 on the Max TW might be too low timing for best performance (Steve Y. usually goes conservative with that).
You'd be wise to invest in a scan tool or some type knock sensor, and definately an egt meter. You will need these for ultimate tuning.