You can type here any text you want

question about a DIY boost controler.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

1dollardog

Are we there yet?
I know alot of guys make their own manual boost controlers. I have a dumb question about it. Is the boost increased when the valve is in the open position or is it increased when the valve is closed?

With the Grainger/RJC style valve like I'm running the tighter together they are the higher the boost level.

boostcontrol

properly plumbed with a dual port wastegate closing off the adjustable valve prevents air from reaching the top of the gate and results in lowest boost
opening the valve allows air to reach the top of the gate and result is higher boost
but if the valve is closed fully it can also prevent air from escaping from the top of the gate and prevent the gate from opening which may result in overboost , i would make sure the top of the gate has a small hole (1/64 is fine) somewhere in a fitting between it and the regulator valve

properly plumbed with a dual port wastegate closing off the adjustable valve prevents air from reaching the top of the gate and results in lowest boost
opening the valve allows air to reach the top of the gate and result is higher boost
but if the valve is closed fully it can also prevent air from escaping from the top of the gate and prevent the gate from opening which may result in overboost , i would make sure the top of the gate has a small hole (1/64 is fine) somewhere in a fitting between it and the regulator valve

Thanks, that helps alot. The adjustment valve shown in the pic, does it bleed off any pressure/vacuum or is it spacifically there to limit or regulate the amout of air passing through the line? Reason I'm asking is that I have a very similar controller that is basically a shut off valve but it doesn't have the capacity of bleeding off any air to the atmosphere.

no air to atmosphere , its just there to regulate the air that gets to the top of the gate , the more air the more help the spring has to hold the gate closed ...which raises boost

if you have an open port on yours its supposed to be plugged

Back