You can type here any text you want

Question About Valves

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TrAb

BOOSTIN
Hey guys this weekend i was replacing my valve springs, using air pressure to hold the valves up of course. Anyways after i did the drivers side and got to the passenger side, when i plugged up the air to the middle most area all the air was rushing out of the exhaust. I had the turbo off so i could really feel it. So i wasnt sure what to think, was thinking burned valves or worse. Then i tapped on the exhaust valve spring with a hammer a little and it stopped. Is this a normal thing? I was thinking maybe i have alot of carbon built up on the valve. Not sure...

You prolly nailed it right on the head, carbon deposits.

Are you checking the guides in the process?

You know i wasnt really checking them, but on that certain valve i did notice something looked a little different from the intake valve that was beside it. But since i didnt look at any of the others very closely i wasnt sure if that was normal or not. If i needed to replace the guide would the head have to be removed?

You know i wasnt really checking them, but on that certain valve i did notice something looked a little different from the intake valve that was beside it. But since i didnt look at any of the others very closely i wasnt sure if that was normal or not. If i needed to replace the guide would the head have to be removed?

Yep, they would have to come off for new guides.

Wiggle the valve stem and see if they have excessive side to side play.

Are you doing seals while the springs are off?

No i wasnt doing seals either. Should i have been doing that? I mean with the new springs it wouldent be to hard for me to get the new springs off.

It's one of those "might as well do" things. If the springs are off, might as well do the seals. If it's not burning oil or smoking out the pipes, it's not imperative.

It's one of those "might as well do" things. If the springs are off, might as well do the seals. If it's not burning oil or smoking out the pipes, it's not imperative.

Gotcha, its not smoking or anything like that. The car runs perfect and whatnot, but it is down on power so i have been trying to get that figured out. Sometimes it has a good bit more power then other times. Right now im in the process of installed the new valve springs, 3in downpipe w/ cutout, and gbody headers. My old headers had some pretty bad cracks on the drivers side and where leaking around the block as well. But i dunno if that would cause that much of a power loss. Hopefully the new headers will bring back some extra power.

Gotcha, its not smoking or anything like that. The car runs perfect and whatnot, but it is down on power so i have been trying to get that figured out. Sometimes it has a good bit more power then other times. Right now im in the process of installed the new valve springs, 3in downpipe w/ cutout, and gbody headers. My old headers had some pretty bad cracks on the drivers side and where leaking around the block as well. But i dunno if that would cause that much of a power loss. Hopefully the new headers will bring back some extra power.

Roger that!

Cracked headers will cause boost issues that = power loss.

With the new headers you are prolly going to see boost spike up. Get ready to dial it down.

The car should run nice with the upgrades. :cool:

I sure hope it runs better, right now from a stop I can't even build boost. The boost gauge will only go to like -5 lol

Back