You can type here any text you want

Question about WE4

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

87grandnat

just out of curiousity, how much faster was the WE4 in the 1/4 mile than the GN i have heard that the WE4 was way lighter, there for making it quicker. Has anyone everseen what one stock will run, thanks for any info.

The only difference from a WE4 from a GN is the rims and I think the WE4 did not have the spoiler. The WE4 has aluminum rims.

There were alot more differences than rims but, none that would really effect speed.

They would have run virtually identical times with the WE4 being just a tick faster because it was lighter But, not by much.
I wouldn't let the weight difference influence a purchase.

If a GN and a WE4 were similarly optioned and made exactly the same HP, the WE4 would be quicker/faster by 3 butterfly sneezes as it has aluminum wheels, aluminum bumper reinforcements, and lighter trim.

Those differences amount to a few pounds, not hundreds of pounds as some have said.

When these cars were bone stock their performance varied all over the map. As such, one would not want to bet his hard earned money that any given WE4 would be quicker/faster than any given GN.

Since so many of these cars have been modified from stock over the years, the point is moot.

In essence, the WE-4 is a GN/Turbo T hybrid, closer to the latter than the former, much rarer than the GN, but worth less. Nonetheless, the WE4 is, IMO, a very interesting wrinkle on the usual, and certainly a very desireable car to own.

I think WE4's and Ttypes also had aluminum bumber braces and GN 's were steel. I bought my WE4 brand new but did not know what it was back then. I liked it because I wanted a GN but did not like the logos which at the time, looked like Jiffy Lube logos to me.

The weight difference is not that big a deal and I've noticed that way back "in the day" when cars were new and almost stock, some cars were just faster the way they came from the factory compared to others that were identical cars. Paul

Well they may be worth less but I like them the most.Nothing like a factory light weight vehicle.I have owned 10 of these.Most are stripped down with few options.rim weight saving on all 4 is about 40lbs rear & front bumper aluminum supports close to 60 lbs.Then aluminum drums.I think they are a little more then a sneeze faster.Rotating weight is alot of savings as compared to plain weight loss.average we-4 is at least 200lbs less then there GN counterparts.Just my opinion & a little biased.

Now if we could only get that guy that invented we-4.com to update his site ;)

Originally posted by Bweavy
Well they may be worth less but I like them the most.Nothing like a factory light weight vehicle.I have owned 10 of these.Most are stripped down with few options.rim weight saving on all 4 is about 40lbs rear & front bumper aluminum supports close to 60 lbs.Then aluminum drums.I think they are a little more then a sneeze faster.Rotating weight is alot of savings as compared to plain weight loss.average we-4 is at least 200lbs less then there GN counterparts.Just my opinion & a little biased.

Now if we could only get that guy that invented we-4.com to update his site ;)

Damn Brian,your going to have me buying a we4 next;) ;) :D :D

WE4

I agree with Brian, great cars, mines loaded and heavy but that's another story.

Update the Registry!!!! :)

PS: Mines the first pic. in the Gallery. :cool:

Using this train of Logic, All '86 GN's are faster than All '87 GN's.

I remember from Kirban's Guide to 1986-1987 Turbo Regals that the aluminum bumper braces weren't standard on any Turbo Regal along with the aluminum drums. They were options.

Originally posted by TT/A1233
I remember from Kirban's Guide to 1986-1987 Turbo Regals that the aluminum bumper braces weren't standard on any Turbo Regal along with the aluminum drums. They were options.

I've never seen an '86 with steel bumper supports. They may exist, but I don't think any came that way from the factory.

As for AL drums, they would have only come with a non-posi rear end, so in a sense, they would be std.

Oh, I forgot, AL drums were Std. on the GNX (with a posi). Since the GNX was an option, I guess the AL drums were "Optional".

Back