You can type here any text you want

question on vacuum brake conversion

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turboterror

I know this has been touched on time and time again but I just had a couple simple questions. First off is what kind of check valve should I use, where to buy it or part number and where to source vacuum. I am guessing most of you went to the aluminum block on top of the intake that has the extra port so you can use it for vacuum brakes? That seems to be logical to just do that but if theres a good way to save the 50.00 Im all ears but I dont want to sacrifice a good install.
Im guessing gm finally figured out that you could use vacuum brakes on a turbo car because the tta has vacuum brakes.
From what Ive gathered I have most of the needed parts. Ive just recieved a g body brake pedal, master cylinder and a brake booster, Im doing a low buck junk yard swap. It all looks straight forward. Any snags I might run into? Ive already pulled the drivers seat and Im going to start on removing the powermaster in just a few.

Normally the check valve is stuck in the brake booster where the hose goes in.

Is there a plastic piece in there for a hose to go into, usually it's a right angle fitting so the hose fits close to the booster?

Post up a pic. of what you have.

You can use the PCV valve port for vacuum as well and use a T fitting.

I suggest a metal T fitting, they also make good strong Nylon T's as well.

yes there is a plastic piece that the hose is stuck into with a hose running out of it. Ill post a couple pics in a few. That powermaster setup looks like a p.i.t.a to remove. Ill be glad to purge it. My last turbo buick had vacuum brakes when I got it and they did fine.

Sorry the pics are probably kind of small, my android died and Im using my back up pos phone

Attachments

• turbo buick brake parts 1.jpg
    turbo buick brake parts 1.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 236
  • turbo buick brake parts 2.jpg
    turbo buick brake parts 2.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 267
I used a brass t fitting from the local advance auto and t-eed into the PCV line and rand the vacuum hose behind the coil-pack, I clamped all the fittings as well with hose clamps.
Be prepared to spend some quality time on your back getting the old pedal out and the new one in. Take out the seat, worth the 5 extra minutes - no way around it, it it a PITA swapping the pedals and getting the linkage, etc to line up with the new pedal...

Swapping the Powermaster for the booster is easy in comparison to the pedal swap. I swapped in a Jeep steering shaft while all the brake booster, etc. was out of the way.

oh yeah this is true, I have the seat out and two of the four bolts that hold the pedal in. It looks like the two beside the steering shaft will be an absolute pleasure to remove. I put some carpet remnants I had left over from my house to make for a cushy place to rest my knees instead of plowing them into the gravel:)

I just noticed that my powermaster has three lines running to it.two in the front as expected and one on the side in the rear. What do I need to do with the third line??

I guess I spoke too soon, I see that it loops lack into the unit. Now if I can just get this darned pedal out. What a P.I.T.A

Thanks for all the input guys, I have it all retrofitted, all there is left to do now is tap a vacuum and bleed the brakes.
Thanks again. A air ratchet, several extensions and the ability to stand on your head definitely helps!!

Yup that's the check valve, it pulls out of the booster, so you can check to make sure it seals when you blow in the hose and opens when you suck on it. :eek::p

They can go bad or leak, fitting the vacuum line via the PCV valve is easier to size since the port on the billet vacuum $$$ block is about 1/2" and the check valve is usually closer to 3/8" which matches up better to the PCV line.

I highly recommend hose clamps everywhere, a month after i converted mine to vacuum booster it blew off the check valve at 80 mph during a blast.

I highly recommend hose clamps everywhere, a month after i converted mine to vacuum booster it blew off the check valve at 80 mph during a blast.
You were right about that I blew off a t and lost my brakes, I nearly pissed my pants trying to get it stopped. Im all clamped up now.

You were right about that I blew off a t and lost my brakes, I nearly pissed my pants trying to get it stopped. Im all clamped up now.
im glad your ok and didn't hit anything. this information should be in a sticky..have fun with your car.....

Yea me too, that wouldve sucked. I have hours and hours of color sanding my ebay 98.00 paint job. And oh yeah
def planning on having fun with her!!

Back