You can type here any text you want

quick diagnotics needed for my PM brakes

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

channer

Hi All

I'm just looking for a quick diagnostic while I wait for Swt_86's "Powermaster Brakes Diagnostic" from the previous post.

Here is problem I am noticing now... after the car sits overnight or extended period of time, when I turn on the keys... the brake (idiot) lights are on and it take 10 or 15 seconds (maybe longer) for the brake lights to clear.

Any quick idea what may be wrong? Brake switch? Accumualator? PM motor? PM???

thanks... dave

Well I guess everyone is leaving it to me.
See what I get for shooting my mouth off on a regular basis. :p

You need to run the diagnostics and time your P/M to be sure but my guess is that you have an internal leak allowing the pressure to bleed down overnight. The 10 to 15 seconds to turn the light off is the acc pumping up to pressure. The light goes off when the pressure in the acc ball reaches that set presure in the switch.

Diagnostics are here: Brake System.
Pay attention to the acc test and the leakdown test.
If the leakdown test fails in the 2 minute window, starting saving your $$ for a rebuild in the immediate future.

Not that it is particularly dangerous at this moment, but if you allow it to continue your P/M will surely suffer the fate of old. Good that you are asking now before you loose your braking ability on the road.

Back