You can type here any text you want

Quick ratio steering boxes/whats the real story?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

robertf

So I see 600 and 800 series steering boxes offering 12.7:1 ratios. I have no clue what our stock GN has. Currently I have Spohn upper/lower fronts and rears/Spohn F/R pro Tour sways/bilstein shocks. I'd love to quicken up the steering box but I know so little about them. Anyone with first hand experience? What are the CON's using the smaller, lighter version. Some offer both versions. Prices very from $500ish range to near $900ish range. Thanks for any "real world" advice.

So I see 600 and 800 series steering boxes offering 12.7:1 ratios. I have no clue what our stock GN has. Currently I have Spohn upper/lower fronts and rears/Spohn F/R pro Tour sways/bilstein shocks. I'd love to quicken up the steering box but I know so little about them. Anyone with first hand experience? What are the CON's using the smaller, lighter version. Some offer both versions. Prices very from $500ish range to near $900ish range. Thanks for any "real world" advice.
Hi Robert,

We have sold many of the 600 gear boxes and also installed a bunch over the years. The 600 steering gear box is a definite improvement over the stock box. The stock box on the Turbo Regal's were quick ratio boxes to begin with but have gotten sloppy over the years. Also the stock steering shaft with the old rag joint needs to go to improve everything as a whole.

The stock GN runs a 14:1 box (800). It is a faster ratio than a regular Regal at 16:1. The 12.7:1 would be nice upgrade.
The 600 boxes are a much newer design, and use actual rack and pinion valving which give them a much better "feel" than an 800. However, the 12.7:1 600 boxes are in Very short supply. Part of the reason prices across the board have gone up so much in recent months. I would say, if you find a 600 in 12.7:1, grab it while you can.

Back