You can type here any text you want

R12

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

dvernst

Just wondering. Is R12 available anywhere. Is it still produced? Thanks

You have to have a EPA license to purchase R12.

However, you can get one online, I'll have to find the website later.

I've been using Freeze12. Even though it's "against the law", I just added it into my system. However, I have a leak that is taking it right back out.

I do have one question for everyone: Wouldn't the AC on our cars benefit from some insulation on the metal lines that pass nearly an inch from the heat sheild and DP? Seems like alot of heat is added to the coolent before it gets to the evaperator.

never thought about a heat sheild :dunno:

i upgraded mine last year when it finally quit blowing cold. don't have to worry about finding r12 now ;) but yes - you can get it, a shop will charge you a bunch for it though. why not just upgrade it? this would be the time...

The 134A conversion is simple as well. Luckily my friend is a mechanic and it cost me next to nothing to convert it. Pretty much just screw on new fittings and charge the system. I think I spent $20 to do it.

I work in HVAC and I'm just going to say this.

R134A has two problems:
1. A R12 condensor does not have enough surface area to "properly" condense R134A's max potential (here in Texas, it's a noticable difference)
2. Look for the EPA to phase out R134A (just like R12) in the future. The European Union's EPA-like group has already begun the phase out R134A. It turns out it is just as harmful to the environment as R12. Whoops (Stock up while it's cheap)

Unfortunatly I don't know what the replacement will be because there are too many possibilities.

True it does not cool quite as well. i am just happy mine works. :smile:

My bodyshop has lots of r12. When cars get in wrecks they sometimes leak. So mine still as a bunch of it.

We have also converted a car to R134a and you have to get new oring seals, fittings, and a new receiver/drier. The cylindrical deal by the firewall.

Jason

I do have one question for everyone: Wouldn't the AC on our cars benefit from some insulation on the metal lines that pass nearly an inch from the heat sheild and DP? Seems like alot of heat is added to the coolent before it gets to the evaperator.

As long as it doesnt get hot enough to turn the refrigerant back into a gas then it shouldnt be a problem scince the cooling is done more or less in the evaporator as the liguid turns back into a gas.

The biggest problem is the a/c box itself. It lacks decent insulation. Not too mention the crap that collects in there. It's not as sealed as you think!

Take the box apart and reinsulate it completely(not hard to do, top of lid comes off).

We did my buddy's T/A years ago and inside the car it was in the 40's after everything was done. Even on low fan speed it was too cold....

A/c

Hi,
I still like Rb276 as a replacement refrigerant. I have a 30lb bottle I've been nursing into needy vehicles' systems. I agree with 'who needs 8 'regarding warm climate conversions. 134a tends to really hammer a compressor that was built to use 12, and the condenser is not adequate. Also, the newer stuff requires barrier hose and different seals and orings to be really leak free.Finally,you need to get all the old mineral oil out, or most anyway, because the stuff does not atomize and roam through the system to lube it like that nasty PAG oil does.So, you see, it is not quite just an issue of out with the old, in with the new. See what happens....

Not to highjack the thread, but...

My AC has been open to air, the tube on the compressor was broken off. I had the hose repaired. I'm replacing the dryer and the orifice tube with new. Using the HG12A? Well, I have it now, so I'm going to try it. Anyhow, my question is this.

1) What kind of compressor oil to use? I guess there's different types

and

2) How much do I put in the system, since I have no idea if any leaked. Where do I put the oil?

Thanks,

Rich

I had the HC-12 put in my car and it pulls the air temp down to 40 degrees in90 degree weather. AC shop did not have to convert anything over. This is what the AC shop has in place of R-12. Cools fine to.

Back