You can type here any text you want

ramchargers boost controller?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

87GNcospg

Send your Donations
i have the ramchargers boost controller installed on my 87 GN. its pretty much stock. i can only adjust the boost from about 8 psi to 14 psi. should i be ably to have a wider range of adjustment? i dont plan on boosting more than 14-15 but i would like to be able to know that i could with some xylene and what not.

Pretty easy. Run dual wastegate solenoids instead of one. They sell a "Y" wiring connector and hose kit to plug them together. Been running it on my cars for years and works great.

The bottom-end on the "range of adjustment" will be dictated by your actuator spring setup. Your numbers indicate that your spring is weak and/or out of adjustment. The stock actuator should start dumping boost around 14#, not 8#. Try putting more tension on the boost rod. If you don't have an adjustable rod, now's the time to change it.

The base spring pressure should be ~10 to 12 lbs. Eight seems like it's weak or old, or something else, like S10xGN said. The good news is that the solenoid/controller are correct range adjustments. To fix (assuming all else is good), do one of these:

- get a new actuator so the base is ~ 11.
- get a 2nd solenoid to run parallel
- make the rod adjustable and give it a few turns. I cranked my rod to a base of 15 lbs so the Commander can make 21 with alky.

what do you guys mean by adjusting the base spring pressure?
is that the spring in the wastegate?

The factory wastegate actuator is preset and not adjustable. To adjust the spring pressure of the actuator's diaphragm, you'll need an aftermarket adjustable unit. The rod from the diaphragm to the elbow will usually have a jam nut on a threaded rod. Remove the eyelet from the elbow lever, turn the end in towards the turbo and re-connect. One full turn is about 1 lb. of boost. Up the boost in small increments, it's easy to get carried away.

HTH - Jimmy

Originally posted by 87GNcospg
i have the ramchargers boost controller installed on my 87 GN. its pretty much stock. i can only adjust the boost from about 8 psi to 14 psi. should i be ably to have a wider range of adjustment? i dont plan on boosting more than 14-15 but i would like to be able to know that i could with some xylene and what not.

The stock wastegate solenoid (wastagate control device that has the electrical input to control boost), only has a dynamic range of about 7psi of adjustability. So the BstC that you're using is ranging the boost about that much.

What many of us do is run two solenoids in parallel, Ramchargers may still be able to get you the necessary hookups to do such a thing, and then you'll have a much wider range of ajustability.

if i just purchase the extra solenoid can i adjust my boost more even if i dont have the adjustable wastegate? i just wont be able to bring the boost up as high as i could if i had the wastegate set higher, right?

No, you won't need an adjustable WG.

A 2nd solenoid will double the bleeding capacity of the boost control system, so any given boost setting on the Commander will double when you add the solenoid. You will also need an electrical connector (splice) to hook up the 2nd solenoid. You can get a clean connector from Caspers.

For instance, the current max setting gets you 14 lbs (6lbs over the base of 8). After you add the solenoid, you should see 20 on the max setting ( 12 lbs over the base of 8). Now you have 12 lbs variable instead of 6.

Yep, that looks like the right connector.

I'm wondering about the 4 psi range, tho. Without a 6 range, it seems that something is wrong. What kind of chip do you have and what boost do you get if you turn the controller off?

IF your running the dual sol setup, will the computer use it to add boost? Or is it totally controlled by the boost controller box?

When the boost controller is activated, it has control over the solenoid(s), and ignores the ECM input. When not activated, the ECM/chip has control.

exactly what scottyb said. when the boost controller is actively controlling the boost a pretty bright red light comes on. first couple times you use it you will probably take your eyes off the road and say "What the hell" as you stare into the light. well i at least did.:D

Back