Ran fine when I parked it Saturday, now knocking.

czimpel

Boost...gotta get some!
Last time I ran the car was last Saturday (9 Days ago) Went for a ride with the family, did a couple harder pulls, no knock on the SM, ran fine when I parked it and haven't started it until this morning.

Started it this morning and it knocked like crazy, idling cold for about 5 secs, and I thought a rod was going to come through the block. Looked things over, to make sure it wasn't something stupid. Started the car again and it was the same horrible sound, put my hand on the dog house and I could feel the knocking. Gave it a tiny bit of throttle and the knock quieted a little bit, but it is still there.

Any clue what the hell happened?

Is oil pressure good?Get some heater hose and place it to your ear and see if you can pinpoint the knock.Is it a real loud knock?

Oil pressure light is not on, I don't have a gauge. I'll get one and check it. The knock was extremely loud when I first started it up, but I think when the oil pressure came up it quieted some. Now when I start it most people probably wouldn't notice it, but this morning when I started it, my wife heard it in the house.

What oil filter are you using.I have heard of some collapsing internally.Just a first thought.

pull each plug wire off/on at a time to find which cylinder has ( rod bearing) the knock will go away with the plug wire off

I'd sure as hell not run it long enough to pull each plug wire off, until I had an oil psi gauge on it, checked the filter for collapse/debris.

agree with chuck.. at least fill a new filter with oil and spin it on quick to eliminate that. However.. quiet when hot , loud when cold. and you did not notice it... going to bet on a piston pin myself if your describing "actual events" : )

Well I would have pin pointed it to one or two cylinders then removed to see which one sounds like has the bad rod bearing if that is what it is, sounds like damage is already done. I have a two post lift so I would have just pulled the oil pan.

Pull the torque converter shroud, and make sure the bolts have not come loose. There should be no rotational play.

If loose it will have a lot of apparent knock at idle, but will smooth out at a higher idle.

I had a cracked flywheel once and it acted the same way. Do the all things first like changing out the oil and filter before getting in too deep. Then, as mentioned above, look at the converter and flywheel. Hopefully it is something simple but if you were beating on it pretty hard I'm suspecting a rod bearing to be the cause.

I wouldn't start it again until you install a oil pressure gauge.
By the time those Idiot lights comes on the damage is already done
Once you install the oil pressure gauge, you should prime the oil system to make sure you have oil pressure present, and then take it from to further troubleshoot if any.

Just changed the oil not that long ago, has a Wix long filter on it. I won't have a chance to dig in for couple weeks, but I'll get back to you with what I find.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

BTW my girls are 5 and 9 and they love the pull of the GN! My wife...not so much.