You can type here any text you want

re-use of cometic head gaskets

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Motor was built with the champion irons and cometic gaskets/ and head studs. The motor was never put in car or started on dyno, never heat cycled... It was decided to go with the champion aluminum heads now, so the question is can I reuse the cometic gaskets that have been torqued down but never run, also, the shop used copper coat on the gaskets when putting the motor together the first time, so that is another issue, the residual copper coat left over after pulling it back apart for the aluminums..
should i reuse the cometics, has anyone ever done this??

also, I understand that the studs are different for the aluminums? any suggestions on how to put the studs in the block, i.e. thread sealant on head ends, arp assembly lube on tightening end?

thanks for any input.

studs

RTV sealant on block threads--ARP lube on nuts and washers

Motor was built with the champion irons and cometic gaskets/ and head studs. The motor was never put in car or started on dyno, never heat cycled... It was decided to go with the champion aluminum heads now, so the question is can I reuse the cometic gaskets that have been torqued down but never run, also, the shop used copper coat on the gaskets when putting the motor together the first time, so that is another issue, the residual copper coat left over after pulling it back apart for the aluminums..
should i reuse the cometics, has anyone ever done this??

also, I understand that the studs are different for the aluminums? any suggestions on how to put the studs in the block, i.e. thread sealant on head ends, arp assembly lube on tightening end?

thanks for any input.

are you selling the irons?

gone

the irons are already gone.... thanks for the help, i am interested to see what anyone has to say about switching the heads from aluminum to iron and still using the same gaskets....

if the cometics arent wrinkled (like when they get blown) id reuse them and have even on head change

yours not being run i see no problem with reusing them since they really arent even used .
as for the copper spray , carefully remove the gaskets and spray them again and if any copper spray stuck on the block wipe the block clean with lacquer thinner

If you reuse the gaskets I would tighten them a little more than before, 5lbs more.

Back