Rear 17" wheels - how wide and B/S?

Steve Petro

I can get a great deal on some Billet wheels.
17 or 18".
I was thinking put 17's on. They have them in 7, 8, 9 1/2 widths.
I was wondering if the 9 1/2 widths would work in back. They can do any backspace in 1/2" increaments. The rear tire would be a 275/40/17 which is about the stock tire height inflated.
I would use a 15x7 or 15x8 front wheel.

Thoughts/comments/suggestion??:confused:

Thanks!

I would say stick with 7" rims on the front because I have had rubbing on my front right tire w/235s(can fit on 7" or 8" rims)...why not use 17x7s instead of 15s, that would look odd otherwise I would think, but It may work for you.
On the rear, you could fit 9.5" wheels, but I wouldnt touch anything bigger than that. On tires, 275s I think are a little too big for street use...they will rub some unless you do something to give yourself more room. I've been told to avoid rubbing, dont go bigger than 255 unless you dont mind an occasional rub/want to notch the fenderwells/install GNX fender flares.
18s are too big for our cars, 17s are as big as I would ever touch for a G body.

I don't want to have issues with any rubbing.
I may go 17x7 in front and 17x8 in the rear to play it safe.

I do have 90/10 drag shocks in front, no front sway bar, south side boxed rear control arms and an air bag on the pass side. Thats it for suspension mods.

I might just go with my original plan of 15x7 front (215/65/15) and 15x8 rear (275/60/15) drag radials or 28x11.5 ET Streets.
Weld Pro Stars or Weld Pro Stars XP with 15x9 in rear.

The car has some mods to make it run low 11's. I think the 17" wheel route with limited side wall will just be defeating the purpose of having the car set up in "kill" mode.

The deal on the 17's is smoking hot! I would hate to pass it up.
Whats a guy to do????????
:mad: :mad:

Originally posted by Steve Petro
The deal on the 17's is smoking hot! I would hate to pass it up.
Whats a guy to do????????
:mad: :mad:

The deal on the 17s might be smokin, but if you don't want/need them, then who cares? If you got a smokin deal on a set 22s, would you buy those just because they were a good price?
I always thought that anything bigger than 16s would look like crap. Then I saw a few with some real sharp 17s, and my mind changed, but I would't mix 15s with 17. I think that would look like crap. See above, I could be wrong. If you want them then go for them, but don't buy them just because it is a good deal. That's like buying a Mustang, because they are giving 5000 back at the dealers. You may save 5k, but you still only have a Mustang.

Brian

Brian,
Point well taken.

I would not mix 15 with 17's.
It would either have 15's all the way around or 17's.
Two differant diameters would look goofy.

I will most likely stick to my original plan to put the Weld Wheels on it with 15's.

A sale is a sale. I usually never fall for that stuff!

:p

17x8.5 with 4.25 inch backspacing with 255s in front with no rubbing.
17x9.5 with 4.75 inch backspacing with 285s in the rear with no rubbing and I didn't have to roll the fender lips either and they look BAD A$$ too.
www.groupawheels.com the F series Simmons
Tarey D.

GN Energy is correct on the rear. Not to say he is wrong on the front I just run different. 17 x 8 with 4 inch backspace on the front. 245/40/17 tire.

GN ERGY,
Your GN looks "killer" with those wheels.
Thanks for the pictures and wheel dimensions.
If you drive it up to Michigan for the Woodward Cruise, let me know we can meet up.

One thing I didnt mention when I gave you that advice, even though you've decided against the 17s, stock higth would look like a monster truck w/ low profiles. I dont think I can get quite as wide of tires as you guys.......my car CAME with a 2" drop. Looks good, just = easier rubbing on wheel wells/ground.

So, are you going to tell us where we can get a deal on 17" billet wheels?
Conrad Carter

There is a guy selling Billet Specialties NEW for $800/set.
or $900/set shipped to your door. Thats less then half price. They are clearing out a few "last years" models.

Conrad..................

Here is a link to the 18's he has on Ebay now.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43958&item=2455650686

At the time I spoke with him he had 6 center piece for 17's.
He can make them in 7, 8, 9.5 width's with just about any offset you would want. They build them to your specs.

Hope this helps you out. I am going to pass, because I think to make the car look "right" in my eyes I would have to lower it at least 1 1/2" to 2".

Considering the mods I have and I want to drive it in "KILL" mode at all times, I have decided to go with the ET Streets in the rear on 15's.

I should have kept another one of my GN's I sold and had the best of both worlds. Oh well, I am ALWAYS looking for another car or two!