You can type here any text you want

Rear and Tranny Fluid Tips

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

joejakegrace

Planning to change both this weekend - (rain ;()

1. Rear - do you need the J35117 "tool" to get the rear diff plug out per the SM? What kind of plug is it? If so, is GM the only place?Any other tips? Is the "Sealant" that the SM recommends for the bolts just blue loctite?

2. Tranny - Looks like pulling the pan is the answer. - Note, the SM only recommends a change if your fluid shows "issues." - Mine looks good but the car (16k) I'm almost positive has NEVER had it changed. I'm inclined to do it but I have no leaks and want to keep it that way... Thoughts??

The plug in the rear is just a rubber grommet. No special tools to take it out, just squeeze it to get it out. Take the bolts out and then pop the cover off. I pulled the grommet off after the cover was off, easier to get it out. I also used a gasket and ultra black rtv. I filled mine with Mobil 1 without any additive. Fill it till it starts coming out the fill plug and reinstall grommet.

Trans, drop pan. Change filter. Install gasket and tighten bolts. Don't remember what spec was but don't go past it or you might warp the pan. I just used regular ATF fluid, Dexron III.

I changed those fluids every year. Could easily have gone longer but its cheap insurance.

Great - you remember the part numbers on either of the gaskets? The SM is silent on them! Thanks

If I get real into it, I might try repacking the wheel bearings - done that? I've done it on other cars - the complication always seems to be getting them off without special tools.

The gaskets are somewhat tough to get. Make sure that you get the rear differential gasket with 9 holes. A cork gasket is best for the transmission but not necessarily required. A tip that my dad tought me was to use fine sewing thread and tieing it through the holes to hold the gasket in place while placing the pan up, otherwise you'll have a hell of a time trying to get it all lined up. Besides for that I didn't have any problems and was a fairly simple job to do.

I used AC Delco parts for mine. Don't know if these are still good or not.

Transmission filter and pan gasket:
TF234(12360654)

Rear:
12523445 Gasket
10033568 Drain Grommet

Front Bearings(Inner and Outer) 457049 457196

I don't get it....why wouldn't you put the gasket on the PAN and tack it with the smallest bit of sealant and then put it up....?

Rob - you just put new bearings in?? Were the old ones trouble??

How much of a bear getting the old off and did you need the special puller??

Originally posted by joejakegrace
Rob - you just put new bearings in?? Were the old ones trouble??

How much of a bear getting the old off and did you need the special puller??
Nope, didn't install them. Sold the car before I got around to do it.

Back