You can type here any text you want

Rear axle strenth

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

V8Killer

GM speed junkie
Rear axle strength

How much abuse/ET's can the stock 9-bolt handle. I have had no luck with the 7.5's in my Camaro. The car won't be getting anything more than Drag Radials.

i still have the stock rear in my car and it has over 35 trans break launchs and at least 100 passes on it and my car ran 11.0 with the stock motor

george

Best to date 60' on bfg drag radials is high 1.5's or low 1.6's.The stock rear seems to take this abuse without to many problems.Now if a person could find a Dana 44...this would be a stock replacement that is much stronger!
Only problem with the stock 9 bolt is if the posi take a crap your out some major dollars for another one.The 9bolt uses conical type clutches and they are not replacable.What kind of times are you running?

Other factors include they dont take well to doing donuts with sticky tires.

The gears themselves will tweak over time doing heavy launches..they will emit a HOWLING sound..

Posi/axles will take a lot of abuse..just dont do stupid things and it will last a long time.

When ya break it..find another one..they sell for 200-400 on Ebay all the time or at local boneyards.

www.9bolt.com

HTH

Mine is still under my car..I cant break it..I'm having fun trying tho :D

Man, I guess I really don't have to worry then. The car has basic stuff walbro/hotwire, test-pipe, adj. FPR, ATR maf pipe/k&n, 255 drag radials. I haven't run it yet, but I'd be plenty happy with 12.0's on good gas;) Just in case I have a spare out of an IROC, that I got for cheap:)

Mine meets its death when I installed the trans brake and took my 60' from a 1.8 to a 1.4 and last about 2 trips to the track.

Back