Rear end gear change.... will it effect tranny?

HOTTOGO

Never Enough!!!
I'm gonna change my 3.73 gears to a 4.56, will it have any effect on the tranny other than speedo? I have a 2300 stall t/c and I know it may have some effect on eng. combo but what if any on tranny? :confused:

Rear end gear change....

Mark,

I'm running 4:11's and a 3500 stall n/l with really no down side other than a few more RPMs and only then noticable at 75-80 mph cruise.

I'm thinking about going back to the 3:42s and lockup.

It won't hurt the transmission, but you will likely find you will have too much overall low gear. Most people find an overall low gear much lower than 11:1 is too much, unless you have a tall tire. Having run 4.11 gears with my 700 and a 27" tall tire I can say low gear was real steep. Be ready to shift when you launch. If you're going to run a 30" tall slick it might work.

Thanx 6Pack, Wasn't even thinking tire size yet, I run 27' on the street and 26" BFG Drag radial a the strip which were to compensate for the 3.73's but I'd bet your right I'm gonna need taller one's to make it work.

Rear end gear change....

Mark,

My plans are to be doing more long distant crusing and wanted a better mpg.

If memory serves with the 4:11 rear gears and 28" tires would equate to a 3:82 ratio. I've read/heard pro/con as to what ratio was best. I know its all about leverage.

One person that uses steep gears is Viktor ?? on the gnttype.org, I believe he held a record (?) for a while and the only mod was a set of 5:14 gears! he also told me that if a set of 6:0 gears were available he would try them...I'm sure you could get an em on the gnttype web site.

BTW if you have a Buick Power Source Manual there is an article/graph about rpm v mph v ratio.

HellOnWheels

If you're running in overdrive, a 4.11 becomes a 2.87 final, and a 4.56 becomes a 3.42 final. Those are APPROXIMATE, not exact. Tire sizes on the back of a G Body usually run between 26.5" and 28", excluding slicks. My Cutlass did fine for several years with a 4.11 and a 700 R4. In retrospect, with a 3.06 low gear, a 3.90 rear would have been better. But a 4.11 may work great with a 2.75 low gear in a 200 4R. Just be ready to shift, especially if you don't turn more than 5500.