You can type here any text you want

Rear end goes *pop*

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

msgn2

effenwheelguy
:cool: I know I may have to check around "parts wanted" forum......But anyone got a rear end laying around for an 87? I am going to call around local to see if I can get lucky...Thanks in advance. Matt from Pines
Was sup,BU,Brick,231,jsta6, and all local South Fla guys......

I think you will be better off just having it rebuilt.

You never know what you are going to get when you buy used. An open 8.5" rear will probably be $350 - $500, and a G80 posi will be $500 - $750. IF you can even find an 8.5" with 3.42's locally.

I had mine rebuilt at Jeff's...

If you have the time, but not the money, (like me, with four boys, two in private school), you could always go to the u-pull-it in Davie and grab an open 7.5 and driveshaft out of any g-body for around $150. I wish I would have known, I just threw out a 7.5 at Jeff's shop a few months ago...

Thanks for the reply.

I am going to check out how bad the damage is, (Talk about a terrible sound when it let go! ) if the housing is OK, I may check on a ring and pinion.....

Thanks again :D
Matt

I tore the hell out of mine. I twisted one of my axles and the end shattered. That in turn took out the forward clutch drum in the tranny. We swapped out the busted axle for another, and the rear was just fine. It isn't the quietest rear out there, but it isn't any louder than before I blew it up. And I had just picked up two axles and a posi for the heck of it just before this hapenned. So, the repair wasn't that bad. If you only broke an axle, then the repair might not be that bad.

I have one that I got from a GN with less than 28,000 miles on it. It came off a 1987 it's a posi. I'm still undecided if to keep it or go with a 12 bolt or 9 inch. Make me a offer.

turbobuick1035 and wtmsvw if you could email me at vendor.defendor@gmail.com I am looking for a GN rear end for my el camino. I tryed emailing both but got my message sent back from turbobuicks1035 and wtmsvw doesn't allow emails...

please, email me when you get a chance.

Back