You can type here any text you want

rear glass quarter clean up

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

grass doctor

Dream Catcher
TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
whats the best way to remove weather stripping adhesive or the butyl tape on rear glass quarters
paint thiner/mineral spirits
acetone
alcohol or what

I think I start with a paint scraper then use my thumb.

If there's any bits below flush that just flat out won't come off... leave it. It won't be going anywhere after reassembly.

well ended up using my fingers with rubber gloves on, went through 4 pairs, once it balled up went pretty good sticking to itself like silly putty, still pain in the ass, but not too bad the tools just seen to hinder the progress anyways dipped a rag in some acetone to whip it down and clean any off the glass then sprayed degreaser and scrubbed with the wife's kitchen brush then hosed off. gonna let the rubber soak up some plastic/rubber restorer overnight hope it will help with the brittleness of the edges
image1.jpeg

I was too late for a hint but it is truly weird that once you get the stuff going, it just keeps sticking to itself. Once it is in a ball it even picks up the small pieces for a clean surface.

I was too late for a hint but it is truly weird that once you get the stuff going, it just keeps sticking to itself. Once it is in a ball it even picks up the small pieces for a clean surface.

Just like dryer lint. :)

Yep, seems like the faster you pat the the ball of gooweyness the easier it is to clean up. Grass Doctor, what are you going to use to reinstall the windows?

When re-installing I prefer the tube style urethane, because it’s really soft. Should be able to find at any Napa Auto parts. Seems to always seal easy without having to wrench the hell out of the studs.

While you have the Qt glass out it’s a good time to separate the molding from the rubber if molding needs refinishing. Paint or Powder coating....

love the advice but your pic on call sign has got to go ...graduated NC state ha ha
really appreciate the advice ill check out that stuff from Napa
thx brother im going to re paint with SEM 39143

Napa should have it, There might be a body primer also, When you start the roll start at the bottom in the middle, Do not touch the top of the tape, used the paper that's on the roll.

I have to figure out how to take them apart
IMG_2011.JPG
. I removed some old purplish window tint off of mine and I want hit them with some SEM also.

They sure will come apart....as far as removing the trim from the rubber.

I have painted two different sets over the years. However I’ve never tried to remove the rubber from the glass.

all you can do is clean em up and try to refurb, you can scuff/ buff the middle trim piece to paint, have to tape all plastic/rubber off
303 protectant did better job after I put that car guys plastic/rubber restore stuff on there ,
if really old the mineral spirits will take the paint/right off the trim piece

They sure will come apart....as far as removing the trim from the rubber.

I have painted two different sets over the years. However I’ve never tried to remove the rubber from the glass.
did you use a heat gun to get them apart or what

No, but probably would help as long as you don’t get to hot. Just take your time and push studs at one end of the glass. They’ll separate....refinish and put trim back on glass.

How I found out the trim removed was in 1989 my car was broken into while at the dealership having brake recall completed. The thief’s broke out the side glass to gain entry into the car. Anyways I ordered new opera glass through GM and it shows up with chrome trim....I was able to swap out the trim from the busted window to the new glass. Ever since then, when ever I painted a car and removed the side glass, I refinished trim while I had the out.

Back