You can type here any text you want

Rear mainseal

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GTABurnout

I was wondering what I could do about a leaking rear main seal like all our cars have. Can I replace the seal with out dropping the tranny. I have 2 driver side valve covers I just need to get the other one cleaned up then I will have all kinds of breathers. I just want it to stop leaking oil.

probably need to do a compression test to see if you are getting too much blowby. If you are then that is your problem not the breathers.

You can replace the seal with the tranny in the car. I havenot done it but a billion guys have on a Regal. I happen to have the tranny out when I did mine. Be warned, you have to raise the motor a few inches to get the pan to clear. I removed the long bolts that hold the motor to the mount, hooked on to a cherry picker and raised it just a little. I had my coil and Intercooler out so I am not sure about the amount of clearance there with everything in the car. Word is you are fine, just watch what you do. At a min I would pull tehe coil.

Brent

Is the rear main seal for the TTA the same as the GN? I went to start both of my cars in storage yesterday and there was an oil spot under both. I am kind of upset about the TTA one as it has 2100 miles. The GN rear main seal I had replaced in 09/1999, do you think it would be leaking again already? The GN has breathers, the TTA is 100% stock.

The TTA and GN both have the same rear main seal-

you will be able to do the job with the transmission in place, just got to jack up the engine a few inches to clear the pick-up tube when removing the oil pan, you dont want to distort the baffle built into the oil pan-
advanced auto sells a felpro oil gasket kit setup, and napa sells something close to it-
they both sell neoprime seals-
and to do the job,push the old seal out with a home made spring, just make sure you dont sratch the crank-

ive seen people use a chrome style spring that wont hurt the finish on the crank-

the seal goes in with the V opening toward the harmonic balancer!!!

HTH

I did a little writeup on my webpage when I change my TTA's rear main. Not as easy as a Regal, but not bad. There are several things to watch for-- fuel lines, plug wire bracket hitting the wiper motor, etc. Don't feel bad about the low mileage-- I changed mine out with ~2800 miles on the clock. Was dry as a bone when I got the car with 2500 miles, but leaked like CRAZY 300 miles later.

Here's my writeup:

http://home.attbi.com/~tta1456/rearmain.htm

Back