You can type here any text you want

Rear spacing problems Help!!!!!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Sox

I have a 86 Regal with a stock rear.I just put on a set of Welds that are 15x8 with a 4.5 BS with 275-60 Drag Radials and they are rubbing.Everyone told me 4.5 would clear.Is there anyway to fix this without notching the frame.I bought a set of 3/4 spacers but now the lug nuts are to short and I dont want to put longer studs and a bunch of money in a stock rear.Any help would be great.

i use billet adapter spacers on gbody's ,longer studs are not that expensive either,but i perfer the adapters i once
used 2'' inch rear adapters on a 86 cutlass same frame,but
1 inch should do for you,i had to roll the lips but its was only rubbing on the passenger side because of the weak
129k mile factory spring and that was with weight in the car,rim size was 22x9.5 try the adapters.

The problem with the spacer is now my lug nuts are to short..I put the 3/4 spacer on and the lug nuts wont reach..

4.5" does work in terms of the wheel spacing, it's all about the tire you put on it and how far it sticks out.

4.5" BS is too much for an 8" wheel anyway, stance-wise. Yes it fits but you don't want that much of an 8" wheel tucked under the car.

Like thutch said, you need adapters instead of spacers. Serves the same purpose, except the adapters bolt down to the axle, and then have their own set of studs where the wheels will bolt on. Of course you're adding rotating mass by doing this, but it's your only choice at this point. 8" wheels would be better with 3.5 or 4" BS.

Wheel Adapters 5 Lug Corvette Camaro

The thinnest you can get from them is 1", and even then, your orignal wheel studs might be sticking out further than the adapter. In which case you have to trim down the studs to be lower than the mounting surface.

In any case you're in for a little bit of work.

Got it. I was getting mixed up between a adapter and a spacer.I just looked in jegs and saw them.

i use lock tite when installing the adapter to the factory studs,then torque then never had a problem.

these adapters are illegal in some states now, i think IL. is one of them. But not 100% sure. my local speed shops stopped selling them. liability reasons maybe idk.

1/4"-1/2" is all you need.4" backspacing on a 8" rim is about perfect.

Backspacing...

1/4"-1/2" is all you need.4" backspacing on a 8" rim is about perfect.

I agree with this also...I took alot of time measuring and borrowed a few different sets of wheels before I ordered my wheels. 275's were the widest tires I could tuck inside the wheelwell and a 8" rim with a 4" backspace should fit nice without any rubbing. If you use a 4-1/2" backspaced wheel, you'll have to use a spacer to move the sidewall away from the framerail. I would use a longer set of wheel studs when using spacers though...John

Back