You can type here any text you want

Rear sway bar upgrade question...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

V6-Sauce

I'd like to replace my stock rear sway bar with one that bolts up to the factory control arms. I already boxed my stock upper/lower controls with hr parts kit(works well). Also I had the control arm bushings replaced(moog)at the same time. Which is the best rear bar that bolts like stock. I already know hr parts has the best bar for launch, but I would like to keep it stock appearing. -Turbo6performance has a 1" rear bar
-aggressive performance a 1 3/8" atr type bar
-umi
-spohn
-full throttle has one too?

Any suggestions on a good one replacing from stock? stock rear sway bar is 22mm/ I don't have air bags?Just for street.

-I also read many posts that factory control arms are not very strong, considering I boxed them, maybe a 1" bar is more then enough?

Last edited:
I just installed the Agressive 1 3/8" bar about a month ago. I'm very happy with it so far. It doesn't come with mounting hardware, so I had to get some proper grade 8 bolts and nuts. This is one big beefy bar so your lowers need to be in tip top shape.

I know, I heard it can twist the control arms if there not boxed and if the bolt holes are not re-enforced, I think that one is too big for stock arms. Does anyone have other suggestions?

HR Parts Bar is the best one out there. It aint cheap but it is good. All hardware and bolts are included.

finally just finished installing ATR and UMI parts on the WE4, haven't done much driving with them yet, (installed 3 days ago) sure is big
DSC06575.JPG

It seems that we all have a different definition of "just for street", so I will add some extra info.
You don't NEED any sways to just drive it, but if you're looking for factory handling use factory sway bars (1.25" front, .75" rear). If you're looking for better handling such as auto-x/ pro-touring, like anything, combination is key.

Sway bars, coil springs, different tire size (width) front and rear and even tire pressure effect handling.

Just putting a larger sway bar on the rear will help in keeping the tires planted and the car level at the drag strip, but will make the tail of the car want to pass the nose when taking corners at speeds testing the tires traction limits especially if the front sway bar is removed.

My thoughts are you will be fine (tail not wanting to pass the nose) going to a 1" rear sway bar along with the factor 1 1/4" front sway bar as long as your tire sizes are close, front to rear. The factory set up was designed to push the front, which is easier to control in an emergency situation than the tail passing the nose.

I have a discontinued set of Herb Adams/ Moroso sway bars on my GN I purchased from Summit racing back in '88.
The sway bars are 1 5/16" front w/ heim joint end links and 1 1/2" rear that attaches to the Kenne Bell rectangular tube lower control arms.

With the 255/50-16 tires front and rear at the time the car was perfectly balanced (neutral steer).
Since going to 255/40-17 fronts and 285/40-17 rears the tail wants to pass the nose (over steer) so I have to start all over again. Hopefully the stiffer UMI performance springs in the front with get it back in check.

Sorry for the book. Hopefully I left you with enough information to help in your decision.

I think a 1" rear bar should improve over the stock, and there not that expensive.

Back