Rear Tires

Bobtempest

Staff member
I am looking for the largest size tire that will fit on the stock rim, and will not rub the wheel well. Also to stay in the 50 series.

Thanks
Rob (Bobs Son)

255/50R16 is the biggest I would go-and you can put them al around.

I'm sure you can go bigger-I just wouldnt

Steve

i have a mt et street on my car 26x11.5x16 on my tta and it fits fine and its 1.5 taller then the 255

george

Just curious, Steve...why do you say you would not go bigger? I would assume anything bigger than a 275, like a 315 :eek: would rub like crazy, but would a 275 be bad?

Jeff

Originally posted by QUIET RIOT
Just curious, Steve...why do you say you would not go bigger? I would assume anything bigger than a 275, like a 315 :eek: would rub like crazy, but would a 275 be bad?

Jeff

335's will fit on the back of a TTA. But the widest street tire you're going to find in 16" is a 255. They don't make anythign wider. With the right offset 17x11" wheels with 315/35/17 tires fit nicely on the back of a 3rd gen F-body. But 16" is kind of a bastard size.

Originally Posted by Hi-psi:
335's will fit on the back of a TTA. But the widest street tire you're going to find in 16" is a 255. They don't make anythign wider. With the right offset 17x11" wheels with 315/35/17 tires fit nicely on the back of a 3rd gen F-body. But 16" is kind of a bastard size.

Exactly,you can go bigger but not on a stock rim and keep a 50 series.I have a set of Weld 15x10 wheels(5.5 backspacing)with a set of M/T ET Streets 28x12.5x15's on my Turbo GTA that fit no problem.

Steve

Originally posted by TTA850

Exactly,you can go bigger but not on a stock rim and keep a 50 series.I have a set of Weld 15x10 wheels(5.5 backspacing)with a set of M/T ET Streets 28x12.5x15's on my Turbo GTA that fit no problem.

Steve

How do the 15"s fit with the stock brakes? Any caliper clearance problems?

I'd like to go with 15's but have heard of problems with brake clearance!

Thanks, Vic:)

Maybe with stock steel wheels there is a problem.I just bought a set of 26 inch MT slicks on 15x8 chrome wheels and no clearance probs with the brakes.

The lightweight wheels usually give better clearance.

My .02 cents