You can type here any text you want

rebuild engine what do I need?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

oddiesGN

During the winter I plan on rebuilding my engine in my 87 gn, it has 130,000 on it now the rear seal leaks. I would like to know what options I have. All I want is it to be able to do normal driving and at times get on it, I would like more horse power, but would like to keep my original torque converter, it already has a different chip I don't know what it is, I do know that I want to get a bigger turbo I think its a t49 not sure just one size bigger is all I want, so could any one tell me what cam would be good, do I need new injectors, throttle body, ignition? and what other add ons would help inprove horse power, but still be a good driver with the a/c on.

To tell you the truth, you would be better off replacing the rear main seal and be done with it. But I would do a compression test, or even better a Leakdown test to see how tight or loose the current engine is. If your not worried about racing the car too much I would put a hotwired fuel pump in, adjustable FPR, 60lb injectors, TT chip, maybe a Stock location intercooler, turbo(maybe a TA60), downpipe and a way to tune the car (scanmaster, powerlogger etc.....). This is the simple way to get HP's :rolleyes:. What are your goals in the quarter if you plan on racing it? Also you can get alcohol injection for easy hp's. The sky's the limit when you rebuild a engine and money can be spent very easily. And dont forget to put good tires on the back ;)

Well I would like to run a 12.5 in the quarter unless it doesn't take much more money to get 12 flat that wouldn't be too bad, what would be a good cam, do I go with a factory style cam or a little bigger? If I do just change the rear seal what could I all do to the car and still have the factory engine hold up and run in the 12's? I don't know much about alcohol injection, is it just like nitrous oxide, how much more power do you get out of alcohol injection? What should be the highest boost to run on factory engine?

12's are easy with a mostly stock car. Like I said I would just change the rear main. Get drag radials, alky, injectors, adjustable fuel pressure reg, and a TurboTweak chip, and a scantool. Not sure where the stock turbo runs outta breath, maybe 22psi. I wouldnt touch the block at this point. Stock cams have gone pretty fast. You can be in the 12's at under $1500.

130K, stock timing chain?? if you plan on keeping this car, I would find me a quality machine shop, the guys on here can help you find one in your area, and go speak with the man that is going to do the rebuild and spend some time with him, kinda like talking with your Dr. If you do not feel comfortable
around him find someone else, but that is a decision that you will have to make, I just had my spare done to replace mine at 118K and about 500 passes down the track and she still runs great, I believe in being proactive, not at all reactive, again that is your call to make, and I have been into these wonderful cars a long time, need to take good care of them, HTH.

Ron

Start saving up your $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

when you start playing with these cars you will need some bucks!

130K miles. Shouldn't he change his valve springs at least..? Look on my car domain page on the second page I have a list of the first mods I did on the stock block. Minus the Alky.. U should get the Alky it's like a fair cheat:wink:

Find someone to perform a cylinder leakdown test on the engine. This is a common test performed on aircraft engines to determine the health of the engine.

This will tell you if the rings and valves are sealed properly. If everything looks good, replace the timing set and the valve springs and reseal the valve covers, rear main and anything else leaking.

If it doesn't pass the leakdown......its time!

Dave

BTW, It is completely possible to run a 12.00 or better with a stock GN/TType

I just did a leak down check on my engine after trying to boost and having oil squirt out of my dipstick!!:eek: i tested 4 cylinders and they could not hold pressure for more than 5 seconds AT BEST!!! i tried the test over and over. even had my mechanic stop by and give it a shot...same results... i took a head off and found that there is all kinds of play inbetween the piston and cylinder wall...so now i am going to have to rebuild..question is where do i stop..if i am in here i want to do it right!! what kind of pistons? rods? crank? do i get a different than stock cam? i am looking to do maybe mid 11's..ne recommendations ?

what kind of pistons? rods? crank? do i get a different than stock cam? i am looking to do maybe mid 11's..ne recommendations ?

It all depends on your budget. Parts can get expensive very fast on these motors. I can't speak on what not to get because this is my first full build on a GN.

Back