You can type here any text you want

rebuild questions

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

russ87gn

I was going to do some maitnence on my car timing chain, fix some oil leaks etc. Now that im thinking id like to do a complete rebuild maybe a cam nothing special. Is it cheaper to buy a shortblock from a vendor or better to just rebuild mine id like to go mid 11s and not have any problems or worries of breaking

It will depend on what shape your existing engine is in to begin with. If you have high miles on the engine and it has been abused it may need to be overbored which means new pistons and while you are at it new rods, etc

My thoughts on this when I did mine was to remove the numbers matching block and tranny and start fresh with a different block and tranny, leaving my factory stuff on the engine stand for later. Blocks can be had for around $300.00 if you decide to go that route. It is NOT cheap to build one of these motors CORRECTLY. Build it to run mid 10's if you want to run mid 11's. Keep your eyes on the parts for sale thread as there was a new DLS stroker for sale last week for cheap. Good luck and take your time to do it correctly the first time.

Bryan

my motor snow balled from a timing chain, re gasket, and motor mounts to now the motor is on a stand and the snow ball got expensive.

How many miles were on the motor and how was your oil pressure?

When I tore my motor down at 90k, the bearings were in good shape besides a little bit of trash ran through them but I still had good oil pressure. Also my car wasn't beat on, and was all stock untill I got it.

My plan now is just polish the crank, put new bearings in it and port and polish the heads, new valve springs, keep the old cam and call it a day.

You will get all kinds of opinions on what to do, but im a big fan of if its not broke dont fix it and keep is simple stupid. Theres alot of builds on here that are low buck to an extend and run good, and theres alot of signitures that have ALOT of parts and not so good running times.

Just my two cents, take it for what its worth.

i think im just going to start buying parts and next winter do a rebuild im not looking into a stroker or anything i like to drive my car more than race it so if i have to sacrafice the power i will. id like to spend about 3000 for a shortblock i just saw that weber has a setup for 3800 thatd probly work for me so i might go with that and less headaches

Back