Rebuilding my front end any hint

mikeneedacar

i am going to rebuild my whole front end and brake this weekend. i was wondering if anybody can give me any ideas to save time. i don't have press.Do i need one or can i just use a hammer. Do i need to buy any new bolts. I think everything on there is still factory. thanks for your help

depends on what you call rebuilding the front end
for tie rod ends , centerlink (drag) and idler a hammer will work to get apart and its not that difficult a job depending on how bad your tie rod sleeves are you may want to pick up a pair of new ones. balljoints and tierods should come with all hardware needed (grease fittings ,nuts and cotterpins)
if you mean controll arm bushings and balljoints i hope you have some experience with this or know a friend who does
rebuilding upper arms inst that bad but the lowers can be difficult when it comes to removal /reinstalling the spring
if upper balljoints are original riveted youll need a drill and a punch to remove and could be done in car , the new ones will bolt in
you may want to haul your upper and lower contoll arms to a machine shop to have the bushings pressed on and off
or if you have acess to tools
lower ball joint youll need a ball joint press tool kit or a shop press
upper control arm bushings have many ways to get out but you should use the proper install removal tool kit to reinstall or a press
lower control arms need a lca bushing remover tool and a spacer to prevent damage or a press

with the tires off and lower arms supported on stands you can remove the upper ball joint nut and removing the nuts to the shaft bolts and knocking back the shaft bolts you can remove the uppercontrol arm by . keep the shims for the arm shaft bolts labeled so you can put them back where the came from and
be carefull with the lower control arm as the spring can fly out.

set the car down on ground before tightening up the upper controll arm bushing nuts and the lower controll arm bushing bolts,

once your done youll need to set the toe in close (1/8-1/4" in ) and get it to an alaignment shop

i am rebuilding the whole front end. the only thing i did not get is the pittman arm cause orielly did show one. i rebuilt the front end on my 70 chevelle a few years ago. i will probley take the arms off and clean them and paint them. thanks for ur help

thanks. i just replaced the springs a few months ago so i should have not problem taking them off. i think i just hooked a chain up to the spring and let fall out but i used a spring compressor to put the new ones in

Spring compressors make me nervous. They break. :eek: Try the method I described and you'll never go back. ;)