You can type here any text you want

Removing Ceramic Coating from headers

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

karolko

I was wondering if anyone has had any success removing old ceramic coatings from Stainless headers,

from what I have read on the internet, sandblasting is very very slow and could infact cause damage to the metal.

Is there any effective chemical process for removing the ceramic?

Adrian

I have had to burn it off with a torch then sand blast. It really sucks to do. Bolt it to an old head or thick plate so it doesn't try to warp.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

That really sounds like the crappy way of doing it.

There must be a chemical that will eat ceramic.

Maybe you could find someone willing to trade coated for non-coated.

hello; You might ask that question to a coating outfit and see if they could recoat the headers if you want the coating again. That's what I would do and if you like the look of SS maybe get a coating close to that color but I would keep em coated.
IBBY

sanding is not a practical option as it would be impossible to get all the tight joints on a set of headers properly sanded. I will make my way over to the local ceramic coating shop and see what they have to say. I don't know how much of a difference ceramic coating header will actually help, or how big of a difference there is with coated vs. non coated headers.

I don't know how much of a difference ceramic coating header will actually help, or how big of a difference there is with coated vs. non coated headers.

The main difference ceramic coating provides is more power due to higher temperature exhaust (maintained by the coating) traveling faster downstream, helping not only with spooling but with scavenging as well. Better scavenging leads to a cleaner cylinder for the next incoming charge that will now burn more efficiently thus producing more power.

Another benefit is lower underhood temperatures and in my opinion, coated headers just look better.

You could try this http://www.columbiacoatings.com/store/p/1005-B17-Industrial-Liquid-Stripper-5-Gal.aspx

It is BAD!!!!! Don't breath the fumes or get it on you at all!!!

My coater guy uses it...BAD is a "polite" description! This stuff will eat your skin off, burn the membranes out of your nose!:eek:
We did a test. We had a wheel that had been coated 4 times, trying to get it presentable. No go. In just 15 mins, the wheel looked like it was new...Not a trace of 4 layers of pc.
They have it in a 55 gal drum. Use it to strip everything they coat, including headers.

Bolt it to an old head and heat it up to cherry red. Step back and spray with water.

My coater guy uses it...BAD is a "polite" description! This stuff will eat your skin off, burn the membranes out of your nose!:eek:
We did a test. We had a wheel that had been coated 4 times, trying to get it presentable. No go. In just 15 mins, the wheel looked like it was new...Not a trace of 4 layers of pc.
They have it in a 55 gal drum. Use it to strip everything they coat, including headers.

My friend runs a powder coating shop here in town. When they got that B-17 stuff in they put it in a stainless steel vat they fabricated. There was a bit of a breeze. The vapors burnt this guys face that was across the shop 75 feet away!!! Badass indeed!!!

I don't understand why you want to remove the ceramic coating. Do you not like the color they coated them? Are they coated in some other color then silver? It's mostly for aesthetic purposes but like TurboTGuy said, there are some actual operational advantages to ceramic coating. Also, who wants to look at brown colored SS headers and dp. I have almost 35k in my motor and it's really pretty and I want it to stay that way too.... I have a set of 4 bolt SS TA headers and the first thing I did was have them ceramic coated, down pipe and all the plumbing for my external wastegate too.

If for what ever reason you want to remove the coating, sand blasting is the easiest most efficient way by far.

Back