You can type here any text you want

Removing powermaster unit and mounting bracket - will brake pedal assy fall?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

"Turbo-T"

V6 on steroids
I'm getting ready to pull off my powermaster and the mounting bracket that has the 4 bolts that attach to the firewall.

If I remove this, will that allow the brake pedal assembly to fall down? Because doesn't the bracket that the brake pedal attaches to also use the same nuts/studs as the powermaster brakcet that must be removed when converting over to hydroboost?

Just wondering before I start tearing it apart of anyt precautions needed.

Thanks in advance!

Nope. The pedal will stay right in place. Just remove the four nuts, unhook the actuator rod from the pedal and pull the PM out.

Nope. There is one more bolt going straight up into the dash that holds the pedal assembly bracket. You can take this bolt out and change the pedal on the work bench much easier.

Thanks for the info fellas....

I will admit I forgot to reinstall the rubber boot off the back of the powermaster onto the hydroboost...not sure if it really needs it or not but the hydroboost didn't come with one...didn't dawn on me until after it was bolted up.

1quick6 thanks for your write up, been following it as much as possible, don't believe I saw anything about the rubber boot though...maybe it's not a big deal?

But one thing I did notice, those power steering lines for the hydroboost are a pita to install. I've only got the return side hooked up from the hydroboost to the power steering box....had to fight with it to get it to fit...was as if the lines were too long. Now I know 86-87 models didn't come with hydroboost factory, but didn't think there was any difference in steering box locations between an 84-85 TR and an 86-87 TR...

Anyways we made some progress today.....

Attachments

• brake upgrade 9-26-10 001.jpg
    brake upgrade 9-26-10 001.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 114
  • brake upgrade 9-26-10 002.jpg
    brake upgrade 9-26-10 002.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 111
  • brake upgrade 9-26-10 004.jpg
    brake upgrade 9-26-10 004.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 119
  • brake upgrade 9-26-10 003.jpg
    brake upgrade 9-26-10 003.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 116
The rubber seal helps keep water from sneaking into the car. Mine was stuck to the firewall so I didn't think about mentioning the importance of reinstalling in my tut. You can always loosen the booster again and throw some rope caulk in there. It's that 3m windshield sealer.

The hose to the PS pump is a bear. Hopefully, you have a bench vise to help tweak the hose. In the picture in my tutorial, it s already bent correctly so that should be a good guide when bending yours.

Here is that pic I mentioned above. The section of hose in the vise goes to the PS pump fitting.
tweaked-hose.jpg

After adjusting the hose, it should line right up with the fitting on the pump:
hose2pump.jpg

Back