You can type here any text you want

Renting a 2+ car trailer and capable tow vehible-- ideas on sources?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GN SBS

Some friends and I are headed down to nationals from the Philly area and are interested in exploring the possibility of renting one capable tow vehicle and a multi-car trailer.

Any ideas on where to turn for:

(i) A 2 or 3 car trailer; and

(ii) A tow vehicle capable of safely towing the above-- probably would need to be a dualie with a 5th wheel hitch setup.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Scott

Its probably not very realistic. The problem is weight....I don t know of any outfit that rnts two or three car haulers....but if you do the trailer weights about 7500 lbs...a typical duallie is now rated at 12000 gvw with a gcvw of about21000.....so even if you find just the right trailer.....and get two cars on it that are light enough (7000 lbs) your easily going to be over the gcvw for a cdl at 26001lbs....

An older duallie like mine is rated at 11000....+ trailer 9500....that lives 4500 lbs to carry with out a cdl......

If you go over 26000 there are also feul regs and permits, log books etc....

The funny part is that they will rarely go by gcvw and weigh seperately. actual truck weight....9000 now my trailer could be as much as 16ooo and still be legal....but either way over the reccomended gcvw by the manufacturer. Of course then you just have to talk someone into letting you use thee stuff for it....

I didn t even think about this till just now.....since the owner is doing it for profit, ie renting to you.....either way you d need a cdl since it is for commercial purposes.

red tape......

Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) is the maximum amount of the truck weight, plus fuel, occupants, cargo, etc.

Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) is the maximum of your actual vehicle weight, plus your trailer weight.

So, if your trailer weighs 7500 and its cargo weighs 7000 and your GCWR is 24000, your tow vehicle, you, and all of it's stuff should not weigh more than 9500 lbs. Of course nobody ever exceeds this. Ever.

I have no idea who would rent a combo like this. What about a big U-haul with a car hauler behind it? All you would have to do is figure out how to load and unload the car in the truck.

Hey Dan, you stated GCVW is actul weight? Is that in print anywhere that you know of? I ve heard both ways....actual and rated.......the bad part is , that unless you ve got it in writing, almost any officer can/will ruin your day because of how they interpret the law. By the time its straightened out, your already screwed.

Thanks for the thoughts-- I've checked most of the big car and truck rental agencies and can find plenty that will rent single car trailers, but none with double car trailers.

I too think this is a long shot, but if such a thing is possible figure that someone on here will have a thought.

I did find that budget rents Ford Excursions, which would be a decent, but not super tow vehicle without the big motor. All of the truck rental firms (u-haul, ryder, ect...) rent single car trailers, but none rent double cars.

Any more ideas would be appreciated. :)

-S.

i see many dully's with 3 car open trailers out here in the west. they all have 5th wheel or gooseneck set up's. the trailer i bring to bowlling green is a 48 ft 2 car enclosed. with 2 car's and tools and fuel, mopeds. and a ton of extra's. we pull it with a 01 chevy dully with a juiced durmax and allison trans. it pulls the hills and never slows down but its heavy! and i never stop at the weigh station.

Originally posted by Pat Adkins
U-haul has a truck you can drive a car on then rent a car hauler. bad part is that their car hauler only has emergency brakes. There is also a funmover you can rent.
www.cruiseamerica.com
i think---
all u-haul 2 axle car hauler's have surge brake's that come on a sec. after the towing truck hits it's brakes. its built in to the tounge of the trailer. so its self contained.

The brakes that are on the trailers they rent only apply if trailer becomes seperated from tow vehicle. they are hydralic and are run by the chain that attaches to hitch.

Originally posted by Pat Adkins
The brakes that are on the trailers they rent only apply if trailer becomes seperated from tow vehicle. they are hydralic and are run by the chain that attaches to hitch.

U-haul car haulers have surge brakes. I can explain how those work if you'd like. They definately don't work the way you've explained.

Ahem, back on topic

LOL! If you can find a two+ car trailer to rent and explain how the brakes work on that I'd be really happy. ;)

-S.

Re: Ahem, back on topic

Originally posted by GN SBS
LOL! If you can find a two+ car trailer to rent and explain how the brakes work on that I'd be really happy. ;)

-S.

I really don't think you'll find a 2+ car hauler to rent, anywhere.
The ones that are out there are being used in a commercial endeavor. I seriously doubt anyone in the rental business would want to have that kind of liability being pulled around by "who knows who" or sitting around waiting for the next customer every 6 months or more. And when was the last time you say a dually F350 or bigger on any rental lot?? NOT.

You're going to have to hire someone to haul them, or buy your own rig.

Guys I just gotta know what u-haul truck can you put a car inside of ? I had thought about it when I got the GN, but what ramps do you use for that? I would think they would be pretty steep?
Or is it like a Knight Rider set up ?

Originally posted by PNYKLR
Guys I just gotta know what u-haul truck can you put a car inside of ? I had thought about it when I got the GN, but what ramps do you use for that? I would think they would be pretty steep?
Or is it like a Knight Rider set up ?

You can't. not legally or otherwise. Get caught and you're in deep doo doo!!
U-haul does have a tandem axle car hauler.
VERY HEAVY trailer and unfortunately doesn't let you get your load place best. You're forced to drive all the way to the front of the trailer. On some trucks with weaker rear springs, this places a lot of unecessary tongue weight on the tow vehicle.

Originally posted by LV GN
i see many dully's with 3 car open trailers out here in the west. they all have 5th wheel or gooseneck set up's. the trailer i bring to bowlling green is a 48 ft 2 car enclosed. with 2 car's and tools and fuel, mopeds. and a ton of extra's. we pull it with a 01 chevy dully with a juiced durmax and allison trans. it pulls the hills and never slows down but its heavy! and i never stop at the weigh station. [/QU

Len, since I ve been shopping.....around , I would bet anything that your way way over weight. Its true you don t have to stop , but they can stop you. If you get caught with that set up....you ll probably be red tagged, towed, and impounded. Some states are a lot more strict about this stuff then they are out west.

Ofcourse in general there isn t much to worry about.

Back