Repair or replace?

ddsistheplan15

Hello all,

I have recently became the owner of a 1987 GN that has sat for a number of years. I am going to restore the vehicle and have a question about the interior pieces

The center console and the dash itself seem to have some discoloration. I have posted pics. Is this something that can be removed or should is start looking for a new center console a new dash.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_7533[2254].jpg
    IMG_7533[2254].jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 78
  • IMG_7539[2255].jpg
    IMG_7539[2255].jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 75
  • IMG_7541[2256].jpg
    IMG_7541[2256].jpg
    2 MB · Views: 72
Try some Simple Green
Great overall cleaner and safe even to use on upholstery.
You will find someone on ebay who rewraps steering wheels... bout $225 out of MI and an excellent job, had one for years now.

Thanks for the reply. I purchased some cockpit premium that I have heard good things about. I am going to buy some simple green and see if that works.

There is a plastic silver trim piece right above the radio and runs along the glove box (I took a quick pic of it). Do they sell that replacement piece?

isopropyl alchol cut 50/50 with water from the artics (lol) will beat most cleaners
there is a woman in Michigan who recovers steering wheels , search button your friend on here and google will also pull up threads on here, parts place sells the little chrome insert piece but save your old as new one will need to be cut and molded at end with heat gun, a chrome paint pen from hobby store works wonders and 0000 steel wool on steering wheel or chrome shifter post
enjoy. also a magic eraser cleans very well
keep us posted

Thanks for your reply!

I have been writing down questions and using the search button so I don't have 1,000 separate threads lol.

Thanks again :)

isopropyl alchol cut 50/50 with water from the artics (lol) will beat most cleaners
there is a woman in Michigan who recovers steering wheels , search button your friend on here and google will also pull up threads on here, parts place sells the little chrome insert piece but save your old as new one will need to be cut and molded at end with heat gun, a chrome paint pen from hobby store works wonders and 0000 steel wool on steering wheel or chrome shifter post
enjoy. also a magic eraser cleans very well
keep us posted

The dash doesn't really look bad except for the discoloration over the radio-heater controls, your scanmaster could hide that. The console almost looks like the dirt that will build up on the steering wheel if you don't clean it enough. Had some dirt buildup on the overhead console in the sierra from the pups noggin rubbing it for a long time but didn't notice. Nothing seemed to clean it and tried some WD-40 and cut right through it. Pod gauge holder for the front of console and some new plaques and gear selector piece will do wonders. And if all fails the "Grass"-Doctor can set you straight on what code paint to get.
Thumbs up on the Wheel Lady too. So, pictures of the rest of the car and congratulations.

Perfect thanks. I am going to use some super green on the dash and then see what happens with the center console. I have some cockpit premium that someone recommended so I will see what happens between the two.

Car is currently en route to me. It is an 87 ttop roller. I will take more pics as soon as it arrives!

The dash doesn't really look bad except for the discoloration over the radio-heater controls, your scanmaster could hide that. The console almost looks like the dirt that will build up on the steering wheel if you don't clean it enough. Had some dirt buildup on the overhead console in the sierra from the pups noggin rubbing it for a long time but didn't notice. Nothing seemed to clean it and tried some WD-40 and cut right through it. Pod gauge holder for the front of console and some new plaques and gear selector piece will do wonders. And if all fails the "Grass"-Doctor can set you straight on what code paint to get.
Thumbs up on the Wheel Lady too. So, pictures of the rest of the car and congratulations.

The sell a replacement for the chrome stop above the glove box. About $50.
Thanks for the reply. I purchased some cockpit premium that I have heard good things about. I am going to buy some simple green and see if that works.

There is a plastic silver trim piece right above the radio and runs along the glove box (I took a quick pic of it). Do they sell that replacement piece?
Yes. It is about $50. I just saw them several weeks ago.