You can type here any text you want

Replacement Radiator

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

84GNwith87eng

Well my radiator has a nice big hole in it...not repairable but I'm looking forward to replacing it for peace of mind...

What is a good brand or type of car that will offer a direct drop in? :confused:

You're not going to find a direct drop in that has the oil cooler and tranny cooler passages.

You best bet, price wise, is to use an F-body radiator and get an external tranny cooler.

If I was you, I would just get your stocker re-cored with a better core and throw it back in.

E-mail or give me a call. We stock and sell the F-body radiator...$120.00 shipped.

Use this e-mail, until our website is finished.

SAVANNAHAUTOAIR@HOTMAIL.COM

Check out our current specials in the Vendors section.

Hopefully, next week, you can also visit our website to view pictures, descriptions, and place orders.

Thanks, and let me know if I can help.

Brett

You might get lucky like I did. Go to a radiator repair shop that has been around for a while and has some "old timer" working there.

I took my original GN radiator in to have a few pin hole leaks fixed. It turned out to be worse than I thought. He ask me if it was out of a Old's diesel because it looked identical. He brought one out from the back and I measured everything. Brand new, tranny and oil cooler as well. $90.00. It was an identical unit.

Now, yes it is possible that the guy didn't know what the unit really came out of but he did recognize the unit and got me a new one there on the spot.

Good luck.

Originally posted by T-top87GN
You're not going to find a direct drop in that has the oil cooler and tranny cooler passages.

What about the ones from Arizona GN?

The F-body radiators work great. I got one in my car. They are also aluminium and get rid of the heat a lot better then the stocker. I also bypassed the resister on the fan so it blows on high all the time now. Car runs at 160-165 all the time.

Originally posted by gordyzx9r
What about the ones from Arizona GN?

That is an aftermarket radiator that use the stock ends tanks. So, it's still a TR radiator.

The hole is small enough, I'm sure it can be repaired. Called my trusted cooling place and they said its $47 to repair it if I bring it to them. Is it hard to take out the radiator?

Are there instructions anywhere? I can't seem to find 'em if any

thanks for the info!

The only bolts you have to remove are the ones on top for the radiator hold down bracket. Remove your oil, tranny, and coolant hoses, disconnect the fan, remove the top bolts and it will slide right out.

Will oil pour out of the oil lines when I disconnect them?

Just making sure I won't run into any surprises lol

Originally posted by KansasCity-T
The F-body radiators work great. I got one in my car. They are also aluminium and get rid of the heat a lot better then the stocker. I also bypassed the resister on the fan so it blows on high all the time now. Car runs at 160-165 all the time.

I agree, use the F-body rad,

All you have to do is take a plastic sandwich bag and a rubber band and when you pop the hose off put the bag over the hose end.

Very little mess works for all the lines.

Don't need no F body radiator.

GNSCOTT - Thanks for the advice, took the radiator out today and no mess at all with the plastic wrap. Can't thank you again for the tip!

I'm taking the radiator to get fixed and recored next week, shop said it would be $47 to fix the hole and I was encouraged to get it recored as well, so how much should that be (estimate) ?

Thanks

Chris

I had mine recored with the 1/2 inch tubes instead on the original 3/8 tubing. Runs nice and cool but was kinda pricey at $200.

Why not just get a new GM radiator? Its still available and of course drops right in and has both coolers in it. Still available at dealer or get it here: OldBuickParts.com $269 I think. JOE

Back