You can type here any text you want

Report on Neil Chance Converter

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ChrisCairns

I took the tranny out Monday night and left fitment until Tuesday. Why I say fitment is when I installed my last converter the snout on the converter was too large to go into the pilot hole in the crank. I spent around 3 hours tearing emory cloth into strips and sanding the snout down 13 thou until it fit.

The first thing I did when I received this converter is to check it in a stock crank and it fit perfectly so it was as I suspected....the crank in my stage engine has a smaller pilot hole.

I started sanding this one and it only took me about an hour to get the 6 thou I needed...ain't experience great ...lol. I'll know if I ever order another one to order it with a 1.690 snout.

Anyway, I just buttoned it up and tried it. It's tight. Very tight. I asked for 2900 to 3000 at zero boost. I got 2400. It evens hammers the car when I put it in gear its so tight. It takes forever to get to 5 lbs of boost. I have no doubt it'll be a lot tighter on the top seeing as it's so much tighter on the bottom. I have some other plans for this coming weekend so I won't be able to try it but I'll take it the next week.

I'll phone Marty (not Mark as I originally thought) and order the necessary shims to change the stall. At least we will know how much to change it.

Chris

Is the crankshaft hole (tranny end) tapered or belved (sp) ?
The big end of the taper is suppose to be around 1.78 or so and goes down to around 1.59 (mine did).
The pilot end of the converters are suppose to be all the same 1.704 (if memory doesn't fail me).
I had to have PI to make me a new front cover for my 9.5 unit

It is probaby a straight bore hole with only the step down for the pilot shaft bushing for the manual tranny shaft. Mine still had the pilot bushing in it.

I had the same problem with my forged crank. The next time the engine is down I will have the crank properly machined.

Gary

Originally posted by Black Car
Is the crankshaft hole (tranny end) tapered or belved (sp) ?
The big end of the taper is suppose to be around 1.78 or so and goes down to around 1.59 (mine did).
The pilot end of the converters are suppose to be all the same 1.704 (if memory doesn't fail me).
I had to have PI to make me a new front cover for my 9.5 unit

It is probaby a straight bore hole with only the step down for the pilot shaft bushing for the manual tranny shaft. Mine still had the pilot bushing in it.

I had the same problem with my forged crank. The next time the engine is down I will have the crank properly machined.

Gary

No taper....just straight and you're right about the size....even Marty at Neil Chance quoted 1.704 to me. As I said I need 1.690 for a nice snug, yet smooth fitting snout.

I'm trying to get Marty on the phone right now. And overnight I've become pissed that the stall on the most expensive converter I've ever bought is also the furthest off the stall I've ever requested. I'll try to be nice on the phone however.
:)

At least you can shim it to change it.. Just try to think about the good things at this point...

I can't wait to hear the results!

Regards.
ks:cool:

Back