You can type here any text you want

reusing billet mains on new block?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

86WH1turbo

Broke
I had to replace a cracked block and I am moving the billet mains, center two, to the new block. Can the caps be reused even though they were cut for the old block? I did hear mention of welding and grinding down, is this a bad idea or nothing to worry about? Thanks for any advice.

I was able to reuse mine. Maybe I got lucky. Machine shop had to line bore it just like before.

if they dont fit where only a line hone is needed, the expense would probably be the same as buying new ones and starting over. Once welding is done at machine shops, prices grow. Center caps are cheap.

If they are like my big block Mopar caps, they should fit in the block, but may be cut down 0.010 or less and re-line bored to make them true again. If they don't fit side to side, I am sure there is a way to tighten them back up. Are you running a girdle also? That would affect how far down they can be cut, or you will have to shim them on the top side so the girdle fits flat. Like I said, a 109 looks just like a big Mopar and should work the same. My caps are Pro-gram, who makes the Buick caps?

Thanks
Coach

I am not sure who makes them. They were in the motor when I bought the car. Shop told me they were going to do stainless welds and grind them to fit. I guess I figured they would say buy new ones if they thought it was a problem but who knows who you can trust these days.

Back