Rich Idle....HELP!!>>

O

ohiogn

Please see mods in signature.....

The car seems to idle fine...slightly rough, but blows alot of black smoke when revving the car with no load on it no matter if it is cold or hot. When starting the car after it has been sitting, also blows alot of black smoke. I dont think it is an injector problem, as the FPR only shows about a 3 PSI drop in pressure after the car is shut off. I tried changing street chips from a RA 93 to a JTesta street chip and it is still doing the same thing. There is no CEL lit up. I am going to try changing the coolant temp sensor and the O2 (that shouldn't matter too much at warm up though).

Any other ideas?

I wouldn't know a stock MAF for this car if it bit me in the a$$ :)

My FP is 42 line off. Should my FP stay around 40 when the car is off....I just looked and the car has been off for about 45 minutes and the FP gauge reads 10psi. Could my problem be a bad regulator of fuel injector? I am thinking that the coolant temp sensor could be bad as well.

black smoke and rough idle

Just from experience. My Supra TT was idling rough and black smoke was coming out of my tailpipe. I found out that one of the IC hose was lose, tightened that up and everything was cool. Might want to check that too.

Re: .

Originally posted by ohiogn
My FP is 42 line off. Should my FP stay around 40 when the car is off....I just looked and the car has been off for about 45 minutes and the FP gauge reads 10psi. Could my problem be a bad regulator of fuel injector? I am thinking that the coolant temp sensor could be bad as well.

That is fine if it would drop to 0 withen 1 or 2 min then i would say leaky injector or something like that.45 min is fine what BLM # are you showing at idle?

Sorry. I am new to this. What is a BLM number? I would assume I need to borrow turbo-link or something like it to tell?

IMHO, my bet would be a leaking injector. Leakdown after shut off only partially explains a bad injector. Black smoke is definately fuel, so either the ignition cutting out (which would affect drivability and would probably pop/break up) or too much fuel. TPS could be mis adjusted too, but I doubt that it would cause over rich smoke. I would pull the plugs and see which hole is getting fuel fouled. If it is one cylinder, look to the injector(maybe spark too) . If it is all cylinders, the problem lies elsewhere.

It doesnt idle terribly, just blows ALOT of smoke when revving. Is there any way to test the injectors to see if one is leaking?