You can type here any text you want

RJC Rear Motor Brace Install

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Jonasterg

TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
When installing the RJC rear motor brace, I need to bend the seam of two body panels a bit so I can put a socket on the upper bolt.

Does it matter if I bend it up or down? For those who have the brace installed already, how did you get the leverage to bend the seam? (Not much room in there to work.)

Do you have fresh motor mounts in your car now? I had plenty of clearance when I put mine in, if you have to tweak the seam I would recommend bending it down so moisture/debris dont gather there, or you could sneak an air saw in there and trim it a little, I had to do that for clearance on the pass side for my 3.5" downpipe. Theres plenty of material there to allow some trimming

I put it on a lift and got a pry bar in there. It doesn't take much to make room for the socket.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Not sure how old the motor mounts are. The car has 82000 miles on it, but the engine and trans are new. I figured bending it down would be better.

I'll give it another go tomorrow evening and see if I can finish the job.

I used a large flathead screwdriver to make a little more room for a shallow socket and wobble extensions. The brace mounts pretty close to the proportioning valve and brake line but I haven't had any issues with it yet. It works as advertised.

Took everyone's advice and just pushed a little harder on the seam. Bent down just enough to get the socket & universal joint connected, then the install was easy. Other than the bending, the whole thing took 30 minutes tops (and I'm a novice).

Thanks everyone for the tips.

I used the standard one. Didn't take any pictures, but I can snap some this week if there's interest.

The installation was dead simple. I had to gently bend the brake line a tiny bit to make sure it cleared the brace. Other than that, and using a pry bar to bend the body seam gently, it was a 2-bolt install job. The car was on jack stands so I had more room to work.

Install: (from memory, hope it's correct)
1. Take out the bolt on the driver's side of the transmission bell housing (I think that's what it's called).
2. Locate the top hole on the housing, there should be no bolt through it. Line up your socket or wrench and see if you need to bend the body seam out of the way to access the top bolt. (I only needed a little extra space).
3. Install the bottom bolt first, use it to support the brace while you install the top bolt.
4. Tighten everything down, add the nut to the bottom bolt.
5. Tighten the rubber foot against the frame.

As long as you're clear of the brake lines, you're done. I bought the kit through Kirban and there were instructions included.

Back