You can type here any text you want

Rocker Clearance

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ChrisCairns

I did a search....nada.

How much clearance between the rockers on S2 heads. I get 10 thou between first pair, and 14 thou between each remaining pair measuring between aluminum tube and shims.

Thanks.

I think you're referring to the lash....and I know that measurement.

I need the clearance along the shaft, between the pedestals, rockers, shims, and aluminum spacers.

Chris,

I noticed alot of side to side clearance on my setup during the initial build (S2 heads and T&D's).

I used extra thin shims to control the end play and center the rocker on the valve tip. I kept at least .010 clearance. You can buy the extra shims from T&D.

Hope that helps,

Dave

Chris,

I noticed alot of side to side clearance on my setup during the initial build (S2 heads and T&D's).

I used extra thin shims to control the end play and center the rocker on the valve tip. I kept at least .010 clearance. You can buy the extra shims from T&D.

Hope that helps,

Dave

Thanks...that was the clearance answer I was hoping for. I did phone T&D today but they didn't answer. I wonder if there's some type of holiday down in Carson City. :biggrin:

I'll phone again on Wednesday....see if I can get some extra shims as I do have one of the aluminum spacers rubbing directly on the rocker's bearing and I don't think that's correct.

Thanks again.

For anyone who cares....

I phoned T & D and they said 2 thou is fine between rockers, but 5 thou would be perfect.

The minimum thickness of the shims they sell, at least for the 13/16th shafts, are starting at 30 thou, going up in 5 thou increments.

Chris,

Good info. You can always add bigger shims and machine down the aluminum spacers to get the desired clearance. You might have to number the spacers for later disassembly/reassembly so you can get them back in the right locations.

Funny the T&D literature never mentions any of this????

Dave

Yep...they should have it on their webpage at least.

I measured my only "extra" shim last night...it's 15 thou. So it isn't T&D's. I've ordered some 30 and 40 thou from T&D but I'd like some thinner ones also. Who else sells them?

I've used valve spring shims on rocker shaft before with no ill effects. Just need to get the right size opening and diameter.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Be patient with this and you will be rewarded. PITA to get correct and taking some time is key. Cut shims to size after getting the correct measurements because... finding the proper sizes ends up being more of a challenge than simply making them yourself (bronze).
It's also less of a problem not having to deal extra shims.
Playing around on a spin-tron suggested keeping things tight worked best.

Be patient with this and you will be rewarded. PITA to get correct and taking some time is key. Cut shims to size after getting the correct measurements because... finding the proper sizes ends up being more of a challenge than simply making them yourself (bronze).
It's also less of a problem not having to deal extra shims.
Playing around on a spin-tron suggested keeping things tight worked best.

Thanks Gary. Check your email.

Back