You can type here any text you want

Rocker shaft plastic pieces?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

DragCamaro

Real-Keeper
hey everyone, can you get replacement plastic inserts for the factory shaft mounted rockers? mine are just old, but i think that could be part of the cause of my noise. the ones that are making noise are very loose on the shafts.
thanks, Mark

Ta Performance Has Them Also Check Vendor List At Bottom Of Forums For Info

It is VERY, VERY unlikely that the retainer buttons are the source of valve train noise. I have never had an issue with the nylon buttons. I have had LOTS of problems with lifters, though. It is probably time to pull the intake and start inspecting the cam and lifters.
I should add, though, that lifter pre-load can have a distictive effect on valvetrain noise. With stock lifters, the pre-load should be set at .030" nominal. If the pre-load is over .060", then they will make niose. If it is less than .010", they will also make noise. Less than .001", then they rattle.

yea im worried about that too. i really need to take the whole engine out and clean it up. the guy i bought it off seriously had no idea on how to tighten down a gasket. ive replaced both the valve covers gaskets, the oil pan, and i still have other leaks.
i need a new front cover for the engine too, i had the oil pump off and it looks like the engine spun a bearing in its past life, the housing is kinda rough, i still have great oil pressure, but it should be smoother.

im getting roller rockers soon anyway, i dont really like the factory rocker setups.

i forgot to say this, mabe someone can help me with the diagnoses or clarify for me.
what i noticed: the intake rocker on cylinder 3 is the one making the noise, i started it with the valve cover off, listened to the loud ass noise. pressed my palm against the rocker in question, and the noise went away. my guess is pushrod length or need for rocker adjustment.
opinions?
thanks, Mark

i forgot to say this, mabe someone can help me with the diagnoses or clarify for me.
what i noticed: the intake rocker on cylinder 3 is the one making the noise, i started it with the valve cover off, listened to the loud ass noise. pressed my palm against the rocker in question, and the noise went away. my guess is pushrod length or need for rocker adjustment.
opinions?
thanks, Mark

That is the most common lifter/lobe to go flat. (#3 exhaust) The hot oil coming off of the thrust bearing seems to be the cause. (well the only reason I can come up with, anyway.) When you pull the intake manifold, look closely at the lifter bore spacing on #3 cylinder. They are farther apart then the other 5 cylinders. I think they did this to try and keep the hot oil spray from the thrust bearing off of that lobe. But I may be WAY off on this. :smile:

it was exhaust actually my bad. i guess thats it. so im flat tappet.... bad lifter = bad cam too doesnt it?

The #3 exhaust lifter issue is what normally takes out the cam lobe.

Back