You can type here any text you want

Rod side clearance

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Hotrodbuick

I pulled apart my motor and didn't look good, anyways the rods seem to move a little too much for me but thought I'd see what you guys think. The side clearance on them is .0018 and the number 4 rod is .0022 I heard that the clearance is supposed to be between .008 .0010 just want to make sure whoever did machine work motor is already 10/10 did not mess up. Thanks again!

I've had them as loose as .0025,there's really no way to fix it unless you start with new parts.
Have had no problems this way.

Yup I would not worry about rod side clearence. Get the bearing clearences right and you should be good.

I agree with Steve. There is really no good way to fix this and it shouldn't be a problem I'd run it.

Neal

Only way I see to fix is new crank an rods. But I'll run it if it's not too bad then. Thanks for your replies! Helps out a lot

Won't hurt a thing. I ran an engine with one rod at .0022 and one at .0024 for 7 years and as far as I know it's still running around down south. Engine had good oil pressure and never made any noise.

IMHO, (side clearance) being a little loose is far better than being too tight. You could apply this to many machine fit engine/drivetrain parts... but it would seem to definately be applicable to rod side clearance.

I too agree.... the side to side being under .003 should not ever give any issues IMHO.

I just noticed it looks like everyone in the thread has the decimal point in the wrong place. We are talking about .022" or 22 thousandths side clearance correct?

Neal

I just noticed it looks like everyone in the thread has the decimal point in the wrong place. We are talking about .022" or 22 thousandths side clearance correct?

Neal

Good call..... duh!

I need my diet coke (I don't drink coffee)

Back