You can type here any text you want

roller cam

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Martin U

Mornin' people

I going to pull my engine, nothing wrong with it, I just wanted to take a look to see how well it's holding up inside. I built it myself.
Plus I'll put new bearings in just because. Can I put new cam bearings in myself?? I should but a roller cam in at the same time---IF I can print some cash. been unemployed to long.

Any roller cam advice, cam size, brand, etc. Does the block need any work to install a roller. build is in my sig.
Marty

......... Can I put new cam bearings in myself?? I should but a roller cam in at the same time---IF I can print some cash. been unemployed to long.

Any roller cam advice, cam size, brand, etc. Does the block need any work to install a roller. build is in my sig.
Marty

Marty,
With your background, I don’t see why you should not be able to install the cam bearings. Just need a tool of course.

As far as the roller;
No mods to the block needed, but, you need the lifter, pushrods, springs, etc (You already know this). Estimated cost is about $800 from FTS.
If the 206/206 is good, leave it in, and run the ZDDP.

As to the cam size; LOTS of opinions on this, andwe need to know your goals.
What is the CR and what boost/RPM do you plan to run?

I don't know squat about these engines so I cant help you there BUT...I do have a lightly used set of Comp lifters for sale cheap out of my old setup. Just pulled them out this week. I had a 206/206 roller cam setup. PM me if interested bud.

I don't have set benchmark as far as speed or RPM, I just want bullet proof as much as I can get. I have never been to the track so times don't mean so much to me. But faster IS better. I only run VR1 + zddp. but a roller has been in the back of my mind just for the reliably factor. I'll give Mike at FT a call to see if I should change springs on the GN1's It has seen 30lbs more than once:eek:
I just read about these lifter vs those lifters etc... King bearings for sure. Cam bearings???? I'll check TAPerformance. Running fast is fun,running all the time is better!
Marty

Marty- I agree with you. My engine is coming out this week due to blown head gasket and the roller cam kit from FTS is ordered. I look at putting the roller cam kit in now as insurance- pain now instead of agony later. Brad

What info do you have on cam bearings? I heard TA's are good. duralast or some thing like that. Are they hard to install?

What info do you have on cam bearings? I heard TA's are good. duralast or some thing like that. Are they hard to install?

I personally have no information on cam bearings. My engine builder will figure that out since one of his specialties is Buick engines. I will find out all the info later this week when he opens up my engine. Brad

I don't have set benchmark as far as speed or RPM, I just want bullet proof as much as I can get. I have never been to the track so times don't mean so much to me. But faster IS better. I only run VR1 + zddp. but a roller has been in the back of my mind just for the reliably factor. Marty
Marty,
I fully agree with the reliability decision.
My FT suggestion was merely based on $$.
If you have the budget, go roller and don't look back.

Marty- I agree with you. My engine is coming out this week due to blown head gasket and the roller cam kit from FTS is ordered. . . . .

Brad,
What cam did you decide on?

Brad,
What cam did you decide on?[/QUOTE]

I am going with the 206/210 simply because it matches my torque converter and will idle the smoothest. Brad

I think I'm going to stay with the 208/208 cam that I have in there now. But I'll probably get a down pipe from gbody. That way I can sell my ported elbow and 2.5 in stainless atr down pipe to offset the cost of the new pipe.
Marty

I think I'm going to stay with the 208/208 cam that I have in there now. But I'll probably get a down pipe from gbody. That way I can sell my ported elbow and 2.5 in stainless atr down pipe to offset the cost of the new pipe.
Marty

Smart idea. The downpipe will make a difference that you will notice right away. My engine should be finsihed up next week. Keep us posted. Brad

Back