You can type here any text you want

rookie exhaust question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

nolanator

@none_more_black
My car has a 3" downpipe. does that mean it will only accept a 3" exhaust or will the 3.5" and 4" units i see advertised have a flange that mates to the 3" downpipe?

The flanges should be the same but why would you need an exhaust pipe larger than 3" is beyond me?? I have a 3.5" down pipe and still use a 3 " exhaust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your engine will never make enough exhaust to need anything more than 3" pipes. Don't use Flowmaster style mufflers. They are restrictive.

I was meaning to say 3" Exhaust and 3.5" downpipe. I'm also searching for exhaust options for my F250 and I got my diameters confused lol. Thanks for the help :)

3" downpipes go to the 9s so 3 1/2" isn't needed either.

The flange on the 3" rjc test pipe bolts directly to their 4" single shot.

The flanges should be the same but why would you need an exhaust pipe larger than 3" is beyond me?? I have a 3.5" down pipe and still use a 3 " exhaust.

I would say vanity and exhaust note, not out of necessity. I personally don't like the look of dual exhaust and prefer the look and simplicity of a single shot. The 3" single shot I've read drones too much, so I went with the 4" RJC single shot. I love the look of it and it sounds great too with very minimal drone. My combo doesn't NEED it, but I like the look and sound of it and at the end of the day, I'm the only one that needs to like my car.

Hah! I agree there. I should have included that I listened to a lot of YouTube videos as well before making my choice. So it wasn't just reading.

Plus, if it's on the Internet, it's gotta be true! [emoji6]

Look at your turbo's exhaust hole and wastegate hole. All the exhaust from the engine has to go through those 2 holes.
As far as exhaust tone goes. Recently I was at a dyno day. One of the cars had a brand new 64/66. They didn't port the hole so it was impossible to control the boost. We popped off the downpipe and opened up the hole with the turbo on the car. We started up the engine to blow out the chips. The engine was damn quiet. I've heard plenty of open exhaust n/a engines and even at idle they were very loud. The turbo really changes the sound of the exhaust.

Back